Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 02-08-2003 , 01:43 AM
Subscriber

converting Subdiv to polys with the detail

Trying my hand at organic modeling, but now I’m stumped. How do you convert a subdivision to polygon without losing the detail on the model? Every time I try it turns into a poly structure without the definition on the model.( if that makes any sense )

# 2 02-08-2003 , 01:57 AM
Thats kinda tricky you want your poly surface to be as light in geometry as possible. Remeber the a low poly cage once coverted to sub-d is usally pretty smooth. The trick is working in the low poly cage to add detail but keeping the sub-d geomerty low once converted.

I have my settings for going back between the 2 set as

Subdiv to polygons:

I have vertices checked only. This setting allows to covernt back to polygons at its lowest geomerty.

Polygons to Subdiv:

just use defalt if need be you can up the base mesh from 1000

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 02-08-2003 , 02:14 AM
Subscriber

# 4 02-08-2003 , 02:43 AM
Thats pretty much how i do it... But i dont start off wiht sub-ds

The character modeling cd that will be out soon covers all the steps i do to model a character...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 5 02-08-2003 , 02:49 AM
Subscriber
Right On!!:yipee: :yipee: :headbang: thanksuser added image

# 6 02-08-2003 , 09:33 AM
Subscriber
also, if you done the detailing in subd, and still want to keep the changes in the polygon (except creases of course) you can select a higher level when you convert subd->poly. so select vertices as kurt suggested in settings, but instead of level 0, change to level 1 or higher. just be carefull that you cannot convert back to poly and subs repeatedly or you would make the geometry more and more complex with every step - if you leave at level 1. so by default it should be level 0 - and you can go back and forth from subd to poly and poly to subd and you always end up with the same thing (this works faster than working in poly proxy mode in subd). also note that converting level 1 verts is differant (if you worked on level 1 mode in subd) than converting level 0 verts and then smoothing in poly mode.

Last edited by BabyDuck; 02-08-2003 at 09:35 AM.
# 7 02-08-2003 , 05:24 PM
Subscriber
Awesome!!! Thinks for the InfO user added image very grateful user added image

# 8 03-08-2003 , 08:25 PM
Subscriber
One more question? Can the Character be polys and nurbs or just one or the other? Like lets say the body polygons and the head subds?

# 9 03-08-2003 , 09:14 PM
Subscriber
it can be both. for binding i would suggest you bind to the polygon for the head, and then converting to subd with the the proxy option. so the binding to the poly will still work, and the subdiv will follow. you just need to make the poly not renderable and you are done ...

edit: oh if you bind more than one polygone to the same skeleton, just make sure that the touching verts have the same weight - so the character does not get holes when animating - of have the neck be longer so you dont see holes when you look in the shirt ... hope that made some sense

Last edited by BabyDuck; 03-08-2003 at 09:16 PM.
# 10 04-08-2003 , 12:37 AM
Subscriber
CooL,Thanxuser added image