Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 04-09-2003 , 08:31 PM
Subscriber

Wacom

I know this hasn't got much to do with maya but i'd like to explore other areas of digital art outside just 3D and develope my 2d skills. I'm thinking of buying a wacom tablet to use with painter and photoshop. Do any of you own a Wacom tablet and if so what do you think of it and should i go and spend almost 700 Euros on one.

# 2 04-09-2003 , 09:13 PM
i have the small one and i like it...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 04-09-2003 , 09:51 PM
ive got a small 13cm (30€) hyperpen and it works just fine... then in this things size does matters(i ve used a DinA4 one and then is truly like drawing)... but personally i wont spend 700€ on it... id love to own a 17" cintiq as my secondary monitor tough user added image (and see if the airbrush pen works as promised)

# 4 05-09-2003 , 08:02 AM
i have the graphire 2.. and i like it.. works great for PS... nothing better

-- Why is it snowing rain --
AIM: SnowboarderCF
# 5 05-09-2003 , 08:32 AM
Subscriber
Check on ebay btw and dont buy usb, it does not seem worth it, too expensive for very little difference...

I bought a 9x6 Wacom Intuos Serial tablet complete for 60 bucks on ebay. Same tablet in usb was going for 200 bucks used >_>

# 6 05-09-2003 , 07:40 PM
Subscriber
Due to all your positive comments and images like this Azhrarn i've decided to buy a 12 x 12 Wacom Intuos2.

# 7 05-09-2003 , 08:06 PM
I got a Wacom Intuos2 A5 USB. It's nice in PS and with Artisan and 3D Paint Tool in Maya.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 8 07-09-2003 , 02:52 PM
Subscriber
New question i was going to buy a 12 x 12 (Oversized A4) or a 12 x 9 (A4) but i've been told that i'd be better getting a A5 (about 8 x 6.something). What are your ideas on this?

# 9 07-09-2003 , 03:08 PM
Well, I can just say that A5 has been just the right size for me...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 10 08-09-2003 , 12:28 PM
Subscriber
I'm using a 12x12 and I just love it!

You have to be aware that you'll need to do broad, long strokes with a 12x12 (or even a 9x12 A4) device, but that's what I love.

If you're running a dual-display setup, the 12x12 tablet has the additional advantage that you can use the oversized (bottom) part in quickpoint mode to navigate the second monitor.

That way, you map the 9x12 (A4) part to your main display and the quickpoint area operates the whole desktop over both monitors.

This is the setup I use, even though I have an additional Intuos2 A6 tablet (I found out about the quickpoint thing too late user added image ) for the 2nd display.

At least here in germany the USB versions are actually cheaper than the serial tablets.

And as far as eBay goes: I found that, for some reason, the offered Wacoms are way to overpriced, at least the Intuos2 series.

I have seen people trying to sell their used wacoms for a price that tops the average street price, so be careful.

So what's left to say...hmm...well...GO FOR IT! user added image

Subdivide and conquer!

Free your mind, and your ass will follow!

Last edited by Renderizer; 08-09-2003 at 12:31 PM.
# 11 16-09-2003 , 11:33 PM
Subscriber

Subdivide and conquer!

Free your mind, and your ass will follow!
# 12 18-09-2003 , 11:03 PM
I have a 9X12 IntuousII and that's fine for what I do. I was going to get the 12x12 but thought against it at the last moment. If anything Wacom seems to be the best brand out there. Just basing that on what I've heard, it's the first tablet I bought. user added image

# 13 12-05-2021 , 03:07 AM
Tablets are definitely worth the money when it comes to drawing, especially if they can already draw with pencil/paper. Drawing with a mouse is not a fun experience, and much harder to learn than drawing on a tablet.

When it comes to brands, generally Wacom is seen as the best option, but this does come at a (significant) price. If price isn't an issue then I would definitely recommend a mid or high range Wacom tablet (generally the price correlates with size and materials), but their smallest tablets are much too small to be particularly useful IMO unless the person using it is very young.

If your price range is limited, I would definitely also recommend checking out the XP-Pen graphics tablets . When it comes to performance I would say that they feel as good to use as a Wacom tablet and have similar specs , but the build quality is slightly worse. I've got a XP-Pen Deco Pro tablet , and I must say that I like it very much. After a year of use I found the tracking and pressure sensitivity good in sketchbook and Photoshop.

Generally the main differentiation between tablets you should be looking at is the working surface area - larger tablets will be more expensive, but are harder to take on the go and it may be worth checking how much desk space your friend can allocate! There are tablets with monitors built in (e.g. Wacom Cintiq or xp-pen artist screen tablets), but these are generally very high-end and I wouldn't recommend buying these for a non-professional digital artist, especially for someone who's never used a tablet before.

Also, it might be worth checking out the iPad pro if that's applicable. For a drawing-only device I would recommend a graphics tablet over an iPad pro, but the portability, build quality, and extra features of the iPad (iOS) are definitely noteworthy. The drawing experience isn't as good as a graphics tablet though, and the buy-in is much more expensive.

Just as a side note, the tablet will work best in drawing software like Paint Tool SAI, Clip Studio Paint, Firealpaca/Krita (both free!), and Photoshop of course.

# 14 26-07-2021 , 06:10 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for tanking the time to reply Yuelao. However I'm not sure how you can across this post as it was 18 years ago when I posted this and have since bought, used, sold that Wacom and moved on to other hobbies. user added image