Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 04-12-2003 , 08:44 PM

Rendering 25 fps

This is probably a dumb question, but how do you render your animation at 25 frames per second? I've changed some settings and my playblasts seem to render at 25 fps, so i thought that the real renders would as well, but they seem to be rendering at 30fps!!
Help!!!!

I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams
# 2 04-12-2003 , 09:13 PM
Subscriber
do you really think you'll see a difference between 25 and 30fps??

-Emo

# 3 04-12-2003 , 09:22 PM
Subscriber
Yes there is a difference. NSTC is 30.. well really 29.95. PAL is 25fps. PAL is used in the UK and other places.. personly I think PAL is better.. Higher res also. 24fps is what film gose at. (which you have to take in to consideration if you really want it to look good like film)

yikes, unless you don't have a program to edit with. I wouldn't wory about the fps coming out of Maya. AfterEffects and Vdub are 2 progams that I know of that let you change the fps play back to what you want. I don't know if the fps of the avi can be set in maya.

# 4 05-12-2003 , 01:08 AM
I think it is more a problem of timing for him. If the timing is perfect at 25 frames a second then it will be to fast at 30. If you pull the file into Premier or after effect it will tell you. I believe it might be under the properties. If you set it at 25, it should be at 25. Make sure it renders every fram etoo. Sometimes if you say to have it render every other frame it will be to fast also.

# 5 05-12-2003 , 02:21 AM
Subscriber
yeah but its eazy to change the playback rait with out changing the number of frames in afterEffects.. maybe premier. would do the same thing and preserve the timeing..

but like Rick said your best bet would be to get it to render at 25..

# 6 07-12-2003 , 08:56 PM
Hello! Thanks for your replies - I tried to change the frame rate in Premier, but it doesn't like it much - it changes it to the correct length time wise, but repeats the last frame again and again in the time difference between 30fps and 25fps (if that makes sense) so you get the effect of the animation stopping dead for a split second or two!! And it's definitely noticeable. user added image
After FX doesn't seem to like my .avi files, so i guess I’ll have to render it all again. RickStefani I can't find the properties box in Maya that changes the render to 25fps does anyone know where it is? I reckon i must be missing something obvious.
Unfortunately I have timed my piece out to narration at 25fps so the timings cannot change!!

Can anyone help?
Thanks

I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams
# 7 07-12-2003 , 10:27 PM
Subscriber
its in your settings/prefrances I do belive.

# 8 29-12-2003 , 04:55 AM
Animation Preferences is in the lower right hand corner of MAYA, next to the little box with a key in it. Otherwise, go to WINDOW > Settings / Preferences > Preferences then choose SETTINGS in the window on the left of the pop-up.

24FPS is film, 30FPS is television.

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu