Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 24-12-2003 , 02:59 PM

Max Import/Plugin

Hey Again Everyone,

I found some great models on the web and was trying to import them into Maya and at first wasn't able to. I installed the Bonus Tools and moved all the .mll files to the plug-in directory. I was then able to import .3ds files, but not MAX/LWS files. Am I missing a plug in or is there some other way to import these into Maya.

Merry X-Mas everyone!!!

Chris, Baltimore

# 2 24-12-2003 , 07:29 PM
The 3DS Import plugin is only for .3ds files, not .max and .lws. The only way I know of to import those files directly (mostly) is using Deep Exploration (https://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dexp/index.htm). If you have access to either of those programs, you can always export to 3ds first and then import to Maya. Or you can use a free plugin to export to FBX (https://www.kaydara.com) and then import that into Maya.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 3 29-12-2003 , 01:42 PM
Thanks Danny...Just a quick question...What plug in do I download on the KADARA site?

Chris

# 4 29-12-2003 , 03:59 PM
Subscriber

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 5 02-01-2004 , 03:11 PM
Hey,

I think I am still confused. I downloaded the plug-in and while I can import .3ds files, I cannot import .MAX files. What is the exact name of the plug-in/program that I need.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

# 6 02-01-2004 , 03:37 PM
Subscriber