Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 13-01-2009 , 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Xir

New painting I did, had fun doing it <3.

user added image

- Genny
# 2 13-01-2009 , 05:20 PM
Looks nice.

not too sure if its off the refs but the nose looks a tad off center??

Great work though, much better than anything I can do 2d wise!! Heck a lot of kids stuff better than my 2d work!!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 13-01-2009 , 06:20 PM
Subscriber
not everyone was born symetrical, steve :p

i like the neck accessories and ear rings and... well.... the entire thing really :bow:

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 4 14-01-2009 , 04:32 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Gen

very cool, is that going in the cgs portfolio?

Jay

# 5 14-01-2009 , 07:11 PM
Super Moderator
Steve, Thanks for the crit, everybody else so far is just telling me it looks like me. I noticed the alignment issues after stepping back.

Thanks Chirone, I got the idea for the earrings from the sea urchin skeletons I have on my desk.

Jay, lol yeah I already slapped it in there, if I didn't do it then, I probably wouldn't for a while.

- Genny
# 6 14-01-2009 , 07:39 PM
Haha, not knowing what you look like I couldent comment on the resemblence!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 7 14-01-2009 , 11:18 PM
Subscriber
if i could do work like that, my low poly would look crazy good. much respect

Toyota Supra WIP

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.
# 8 15-01-2009 , 06:08 PM
nice job gecT! i like the way you've painted the face - good job.

the sharp edge on the earrings stand out just a bit - but i really like the way the earrings play off the eyes. user added image

# 9 16-01-2009 , 01:19 AM
19 year Veteran
Fantastic Stuff GecT! user added image

While there are several anatomy issues, it still looks fantastic!! Keep up the great work!

BTW, I did a over-paint to correct some anatomy issues mentioned, I hope you don't mind. Just trying to help ya out.

Last edited by THX1138; 05-12-2010 at 10:10 PM.
# 10 16-01-2009 , 11:28 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks for the comments and crits guys. That paint over corrected the issue I noticed with the nose bridge as it wasn't defined enough, but the rest of it changed the face too much.

- Genny
# 11 16-01-2009 , 11:46 PM
19 year Veteran
Yeah, I wondered if you might not agree with the over all change; however, anatomically, the face is accurate. Would be easier if a reference was provided. Some faces are more round, some are more slim, some have a more refined jaw line and cheeks ect. But the distance between the eyes, nose, mouth, chin, and forehead are pretty consistent from face to face. These details are a major factor when doing portraits. They can make it or break it.

# 12 27-01-2009 , 08:29 PM
ok, hate to be a moo, but i actually don't think that thx1138's over-paint is working at all.

to start off, it seems as though the face has been elongated - almost as if you have repainted the face from dead on. i might be wrong, but i saw it as being painted from slightly below the face (similar to munch's madonna) - hence the foreshortening in the forehead, the flat edge of the bottom eyelids and the top of the ears which are below the eyes - and which haven't been changed in thx1138's paint-over. i actually think the paint over has kind of skewered the face - the eyes look unlevel and there's a bit of a distortion leaning to the right of the image. the forehead now looks huge - again because the ears show that this is being viewed from below.

I didn't really have any problems with the placement of the nose in the original and actually read it as being that the face is turned slightly. by lightening the tones of the face it's further flattened the image and doesn't really take into account the highlights that are already in the image - so now in the paint-over her right cheek has the most light when clearly the light is coming from the other direction.

and sorry to harp on, but really a lot of the freshness and expansiveness of the brush strokes are now gone - losing a lot of the softness and immediacy in the original and removing the sense of intimacy.

wacca wacca wacca...

Last edited by arran; 28-01-2009 at 02:13 AM.
# 13 31-01-2009 , 12:25 AM
19 year Veteran
Good observation arran! Yeah, the head is rather long as compared to GecT's original work. The height of the forehead is based off the distance from the base of the nose to the top of the eyebrows. The problem is with the height of the eyebrows. They shouldn't be that high. Thats one of the features I didn't correct when I did the paint over. I never touched the ears as well. It was just a quick paint over to address some of the anatomy features, nothing more. I wasn't trying to recreate the Mona Lisa or anything like that.

I stated that I only tried to address some of the anatomy issues.

Oh and the lighting, I just copied and pasted the lighter cheek over the darker cheek and blended together. So your your argument makes perfect sense.

However, I disagree with your opinion on the loss of freshness and expansiveness of the brush strokes-losing a lot of the softness and immediacy in the original and removing the sense of intimacy. I think I looks just as good as GecT's work, but thats just my own opinion.

End the end, a photo reference would have helped greatly.

I think GecT is a fantastic artist, and I have loads of respect for her. She only needs to keep it up!! user added image

# 14 04-02-2009 , 03:07 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
looks really nice if only i could paint that well with a mouse damn i need a tablet

# 15 04-02-2009 , 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Wow, a lot of paragraphs lol thanks for all the crits and comments fellas user added image I'm practicing here and there but not as much as I'd like. Murambi, get a tablet, you'll never look back.

- Genny