Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 28-01-2009 , 07:59 PM

Couple of NURBS Questions.

Hello.

How can I give a NURBS plane some height? so essentially it's a box?

Is there any way to make a Loft between two curves a solid object? rather than being hollow in the center?

# 2 28-01-2009 , 08:34 PM
Subscriber
1. no
2. no

why don't you use polygons?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 29-01-2009 , 12:49 AM
Unfortunately for what I'm doing requires the use of NURBS exclusively.

Single NURBS objects to be exact.

What would the easiest way to make a NURBS cube be? and I mean a single NURBS object thats a cube not 4 planes.

# 4 29-01-2009 , 01:09 AM
Subscriber
you are aware of what NURBS are right?
Non Uniform r-something B-Spline
they are infinately round
and are just a plane surface

you could possibly make a cube.... you'd need to start from a sphere though... keep playing with the control verticies until you get the shape you want

of course it will never be closed off

may i ask what the project requires of you?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 31-01-2009 , 07:20 PM
Hi,

it just can't be done I'm afraid, it's not in the nature of nurbs surfaces to allow you to make a cube that is a single object and not patches.

What king of exercise are doing that would make such a requirement? Nurbs are very versatile but are just not intended for what you describe.

cheers

gubar