Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 31 15-07-2003 , 01:49 AM
Subscriber
I'm using a softquadroed Ti4600 with two monitors, and there is no way of ever going back to using just one display.

I've built some custom window layouts for certain software, like Photoshop, InDesign and Maya. For PS and ID I have managed to have all palettes displayed at the same time.

Yet no more clutter on the screen...I love it! :love:

I tend to have all my palettes and windows neatly arranged on the second display (17') and the workspace/viewports on the first (19').

And I have to confess: I'm addicted to dual display setups - it's really worth the money.

These are my screen layouts for Photoshop and Maya:

Attached Thumbnails

Subdivide and conquer!

Free your mind, and your ass will follow!

Last edited by Renderizer; 15-07-2003 at 01:55 AM.
# 32 15-07-2003 , 02:31 AM
wow, that would be amazing!
just reading this thread makes me want to get dual display.
If i go buy a cheap PCI card, and a monitor, will it work? I have an Agp card now. Or do i have to get a new dual output vid card?

________

- Jacob
# 33 15-07-2003 , 02:48 AM
Subscriber
I'm not sure about using a PCI card...

I now you CAN use an additional PCI card to plug in a second display, but I'm not sure about the OpenGL support, as there seems to be something foul about the Windoze OGL implementation.

If you're using Windows' standard dual display setup, there is NO OpenGL support for the second display. That's why you have to use nView with nVidia cards. Don't know abou the ATI or Wildcat devices, but I guess there will be something similiar to nView.

If you have money to burn (LOL! - sorry!), I'd suggest to go out and buy a TI4200 or TI4600 (and download the SoftQuadro patch), as the price has really dropped since the arrival of the FX models.

BTW: what kind of AGP card do you have?

Subdivide and conquer!

# 34 15-07-2003 , 04:22 AM
I JUST GOT A DUAL DISPLAY VIDEO CARD!!!!!! It is a geforce fx 5200 verto from pny(i know, im very cheap). I will get a better one later if I like it. There is just one problem.......I dont know how to set up nview. Do i have to have IE version 6. Somebody help me here.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 35 15-07-2003 , 05:00 AM
Subscriber
Hmm. I don't know the FX, but the steps should be the same.

First off: I wouldn't use the pny drivers. Get the latest (stable!?!) Detonator and install it.

Then go to >Control Panel >Display Properties >Advanced >nView

Choose >Horizontal Spanning. This step is very important, as you don't get any OpenGL support for the second display if you're using windows standard Dual Display.

That should do the trick.

Ah yes, one more: for Maya you need to enable window spanning across monitors, otherwise you won't get any context menus on the second monitor (drove me bananas when I first fumbled around with nView).

BTW: I'm using a rather old driver (30.82 - but it's stable and A|W certified), which still uses the old nView. With nView 2 the tab layout has changed a bit, but it should be easy enough to come around.

Hope that helps... user added image

P.S. I have to translate all the menu titles and buttons, as I'm running a german version of Win2000, so don't go too hard at me, if they actually differ from the original english version, ok? user added image

All the best,

Renderizer

Subdivide and conquer!

Last edited by Renderizer; 15-07-2003 at 05:05 AM.
# 36 15-07-2003 , 06:40 AM
Subscriber
Nice set up. I am usimg a 21" and a 17". I am not sure Renderizer if enabling horizontal span is enough to get open GL on both monitors. I think you have to enable "treat both monitor as one desktop" instead of "treat as seperate desktop" if you understand what I mean Renderizer. For example when I treat both monitors as "seperate desktops2 with horizontal spanning enabled I can't pay DVD'c on the 17" monitor. The DVD player window goes black. If I move the window to the middle the part that is on the main monitor shows the movie but the part on the secondary monitor stays black. Hypershada does not update on the second monitor properly as well unless I enable "treat both as one desktop"

1-Renderizer- I am thinking of getting another 21" monitor. Will a Ti 4800 128mb card handle 2 -21" monitors?

2- To soft Quadro do I need to do physically anything with the actuall card? DO you really notice a difference after doing the soft quadro?

P.S- Normally it's ideal if you have same sized monitors that can work at the same resolution and refresh rate.

grrrr

Last edited by slickrenderer; 15-07-2003 at 06:49 AM.
# 37 15-07-2003 , 06:57 AM
YAY!!!!!!!!!! My setup is working great. I love this. Hip hip hooray for me.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 38 15-07-2003 , 08:33 AM

Great Spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the person who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express their opinions courageously and honestly.
*Albert Einstein*

One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.
Sir Winston Churchill

Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence. True friendship is a plant of slow growth, and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity before it is entitled to the appellation.
George Washington
# 39 15-07-2003 , 09:02 AM
# 40 15-07-2003 , 11:24 AM
Subscriber
Hi Slickrender,

yeah, you're right, but "treat both monitor as one desktop" is the default setting anyway (at least, that's what it's like with me).

1 - I think the Ti4800 should have no troubles running two 21" displays.

2 - No. You just need to download RivaTuner and follow the instructions.

And yes: you DO notice some differences:

First, it's faster (search Guru3D forum for any charts and comparsions), and
Second, you have access to the professional OpenGL features (there is even a Maya/Studio Tools preset as well).
Have you ever experienced some strange red blobby trails when using Pain FX/Artisan? Well, Softquadro will cure this.

I have two different monitors hooked up to the card, but that doesn't keep me from using the same resolution and refresh rates!

Renderizer

P.S. You can use SoftQuadro4 with all detonator drivers up to 41.03. After that, nVidia have changed the driver's protection scheme.

I'd suggest using 30.82. Yeah, I know, it's rather old, but then it's the only driver that is about 100% stable (along with 29.42). All the other drivers are bug infested.

Go search Guru3D forum, you'll find answers there.

Subdivide and conquer!

Last edited by Renderizer; 15-07-2003 at 11:31 AM.
# 41 15-07-2003 , 03:06 PM
@Drknow:
GeForce FX 5200? I´ll get the 5600! user added image user added image
So, how does it work? Are two outports on the card?

Add me please
(I want to improve both english AND 3d skills)
MSN: Bryce5@gmx.net
# 42 15-07-2003 , 03:10 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Bryce
@Drknow:
GeForce FX 5200? I´ll get the 5600! user added image user added image
So, how does it work? Are two outports on the card?

I'm saving up for the 5900 Ultra so :p

actually I'm saving for a KILLER PC too but I won't get into detials for now user added image

-Emo

# 43 15-07-2003 , 03:12 PM
Subscriber

# 44 15-07-2003 , 03:18 PM
Subscriber
Bryce:

Yeah, two ports to boot.

I think that with the GeForce, one of them is a DVI port, but the adapter comes with the card (with the Quadro you have two DVIs and two adapters).

It's really easy to set up and you get used to it pretty fast.

I for my part don't like watching tv anymore, as I'm constantly looking out for a second display to get some other stuff done - but there is none! :p

Subdivide and conquer!

# 45 15-07-2003 , 03:53 PM
TV-in/out,DVI-Out
That´s what the card got. Man, Hardware and me... Thats can´t be good....

Add me please
(I want to improve both english AND 3d skills)
MSN: Bryce5@gmx.net