Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 20-10-2014 , 05:21 AM

Rotate object within object

Hi all

I have an object like this. I'd like to animate the rings rotating one within the other. The problem is as the outer ring rotates the angle and pivot location of the inner ring changes.

Any idea how In can make it rotate the way I want. Each ring rotates individually with all the rings inside it, but still remaining in its position inside the outer ring.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Zen86; 20-10-2014 at 05:50 AM.
# 2 20-10-2014 , 02:41 PM

# 3 20-10-2014 , 05:57 PM
Your example is exactly what I want. Unfortunately I must be missing something. I parented each ring to its parent, rotated the outer one horizontally, then for the next one changed the rotation angle to the pivot edge set a key frame at the start position, another at the end position after rotating it and the result is this.

So what am I missing here?

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 20-10-2014 , 06:29 PM
Never mind. I figured it out. I just had to add a few more keyframes during the rotation itself.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by Zen86; 20-10-2014 at 06:46 PM.
# 5 20-10-2014 , 08:19 PM
for that animation if the rotation speed is constant you need only two keyframes for each ring - start and end.

# 6 20-10-2014 , 08:46 PM
EduSciVis-er
I wonder if it has to do with the transformations of the object.
I would take all the rings, and delete history and freeze transformations. Then parent each ring to the one just outside it. Freeze transformations again. Then rotate each ring starting with the outside to match your arrangement (with local space rotation, not world). Now you should be able to rotate the rings independently and maintain their organization.

# 7 21-10-2014 , 06:54 AM
Ok here's what I did. Sorry about the framerate, but it should still be clear.

rings rotation - YouTube

So what am I doing wrong?