Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 24-07-2012 , 10:07 AM

Shader nodes in Outliner.

Hello everyone, im new here and new with maya.
I start with maya 1 week ago, with maya 2012 Sp2 x64, and i have a problem in the outliner.

sometimes when i save, close maya, open again. The screen start in blank, everything is in wireframe and i find some Grey shader nodes in my outliner and i cant take it out.

user added image

I was reading some post here and i see some people with the same problem...
there is some solution to this? or the problem still there?

# 2 24-07-2012 , 12:01 PM
The thin red line
In the outliner display tick "DAG objects only" I think thats what you need..........dave

# 3 24-07-2012 , 01:12 PM
Thanks for the quick answer.

I try DAG Object only.. and they still there...
I try Optimize scene too... i cant move, delete or group the (Gray Icon) shaders.
everytime i create a new material in the hypershade.. a new node appears in my outliner.

# 4 24-07-2012 , 03:12 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 24-07-2012 , 05:05 PM
I'll save you the trouble of reading through the entire thread that nextdesign linked ....READ BELOW

The only solution I've found to this problem is you have to close maya, delete the userprefs.mel file or delete your maya prefs folder (*1) (the one in documents on windows not sure where the mac one is), and restart maya then reopen the scene and those shader nodes should be gone.

I have filed this as a bug with autodesk and as yet have seen no reply.

It appears this is one of those bugs that is not affecting enough people for anyone to really take notice or be concerned. This is very annoying to me as I do not know what causes it to start happening, or how to fix it without deleting the maya folder or the less destructive route of deleting the userprefs.mel file.

(*1) - Be careful deleting the maya prefs folder! Make a backup first. That folder contains scripts, shelves, hotkeys, plugin specific stuff for ALL versions of Maya you have on your system. So deleting it might solve one problem and create a dozen new headaches!

=================
OTHER BUGS I CONTINUE TO SEE IN MAYA 2012 and 2013 THAT AUTODESK WILL NOT ACKNOWLEDGE AND BLAME ON GRAPHICS DRIVERS
=================

1. The screen refresh bug where the display will stop updating, the channel and outliner will both go blank and you have to close and reopen the scene to fix it.

(workaround) close and reopen the scene seems to get things in sync again. But this can happen again within seconds, minutes, or hours, or maybe I won't see it for weeks. It's maddening!

2. The error reading scene file bug. Where I get a message that there was a problem reading the scene file at line 762 (always the EXACT SAME LINE NUMBER!!!!) and the file opens and nothing is displayed. I have to press the perspective display and then the model is displayed in wireframe (4-key) mode. In some instances the grid settings are messed up.

(workaround) This is another really perplexing problem because the fix is simply closing and reopening the very same scene file!!!!

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 24-07-2012 at 09:17 PM.
# 6 24-07-2012 , 05:15 PM
Since the solution to this problem seems to be deleting the userprefs file I would love to find someone that could compare a fresh file with a corrupt one and tell me what the hell the thing is that gets switched on to display these annoying shader nodes and why the bloody hell there does not appear to be any way to turn the behavior off without destroying the userprefs file!

As I said I have filed several bug reports to autodesk with userprefs.mel files and they just go into a black hole and short of the auto generated receipt email I never hear a word back from autodesk. I have posted the description in the area forums and once again I never see a response that acknowledges the problem and all I get is all kinds of random and sometimes just insane suggestions.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 7 24-07-2012 , 05:33 PM
The userprefs file in maya seems to become corrupted so often that I made a batch file on windows to wipe it and restore a previously working version.

First make sure you have a working userprefs.mel and make a copy of it in the same folder! Then open a text document and put the code below (BEING SURE TO PUT THE CORRECT PATH TO YOUR userpref.mel FILE) in it and save the file to your desktop and name it something like FixPrefsMaya2012.bat.

Now the next time your prefs goes insane just close maya, run that batch file from your desktop, and restart maya. I also update the "userprefs.mel copy" from time to time.

=======================================
@echo off
cd c:\users\<yourUserDir>\documents\maya\2012-x64\prefs
del userprefs.mel
copy "userPrefs Copy.mel" userPrefs.mel
echo fixed Maya 2012 userPrefs.mel

pause
========================================

I use maya 2012 and 2013 so I have one of these for each version of maya.

Last edited by ctbram; 24-07-2012 at 05:36 PM.
# 8 24-07-2012 , 11:04 PM
Thanks for the quick answer.
Until now i was exporting the corrupted file to a new scene, save and the shader nodes dissapear but i dont know if everything is ok in the file.
Is very anoying rename all the imported files in the outliner everytime...
i going to try what ctbram say...

Since wich version this happend?
This only happend in the Windows version?