Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 29-12-2009 , 03:03 AM
Subscriber

Spin Faces

Does anyone know how to add a "spin faces" MEL to Maya. I do not know anyhting about MEL. I downloaded something off of the Internet and it seems as if it works but it deletes the edge between the two faces that I select. I bought the Chef Ramsay tutorial and he uses it there but I cannot figure out how to add it and use it. Can anyone provide me with step by step instructions on how to add it and use it. Thanks

# 2 29-12-2009 , 03:48 AM
What do you mean by "Spin Faces"?

Reverse normals?

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 29-12-2009 , 04:47 AM
Subscriber
Apparently there is a way to select two polygon faces and switch them. I dont understand it but I have seen it done and cant figure out the way to do it or to add the MEL script.

# 4 03-01-2010 , 08:17 AM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 03-01-2010 , 09:55 AM
Subscriber
interesting...

Obsolete, there's now Poligons > Edit Mesh -> Flip Triangle Edge.

from the reviews tab...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 6 05-01-2010 , 05:14 AM
Technical Director
As he didn't post up the version he was using, I thought it to be safe.

Chirone, Never knew about that command. Thanks. user added image

# 7 05-01-2010 , 06:15 AM
Subscriber
fair enough!

i never knew about it either! i still haven't tried it out though...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 8 23-01-2010 , 10:42 AM
Flip Triangle Edge working in different manner comparing to spinFaces MEL (at least in Maya 8.5). To install this Mel read short explanation by author here - https://www.knower.it/dblog/storico.asp?s=CG+-+Scripts
Also, there you can download latest version of this MEL

# 9 16-05-2010 , 10:22 PM
Subscriber
open script editor and type in spinFaces with a capital F. hit execute in the command menu , It might give you a error if your using older versions but dont worry about that. at the top of the script editor you will see the word spinFaces;

Highlight that and in one of the drop down menus you will see save script to shelf, hit that it will ask you mel or python,choose mel. Then name the script spinfaces or what ever you like to remember it.

make sure you have put the spinfaces script you downloaded into your script folder beforehand for your version of maya or the instructions I gave you wont work.

# 10 16-02-2014 , 02:46 AM
Subscriber

Does anyone know how to add a "spin faces" MEL to Maya. I do not know anyhting about MEL. I downloaded something off of the Internet and it seems as if it works but it deletes the edge between the two faces that I select. I bought the Chef Ramsay tutorial and he uses it there but I cannot figure out how to add it and use it. Can anyone provide me with step by step instructions on how to add it and use it. Thanks

Hey, did you ever figure out how to get the spin faces to work? I have Maya 2013 for Mac. I tried getting it from creative crash and even got as far as putting it on my shelf but it doesn't work.

Sampson
# 11 16-02-2014 , 04:44 AM
Technical Director
As mentioned above, there's a built in command now: "Polygons > Edit Mesh -> Flip Triangle Edge"?

# 12 16-02-2014 , 10:08 PM
Subscriber

As mentioned above, there's a built in command now: "Polygons > Edit Mesh -> Flip Triangle Edge"?

In the Chef Ramsey tut, Jay uses a MEL script to spin two selected faces. The "flip triangle edge" is not the same thing. I tried it and it does not work.

Sampson
# 13 16-02-2014 , 11:17 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah spinFaces is a life saver.

I'm running 2013. Stick the script in your Maya2014 scripts folder. Then go to the script editor file > source script> selct the spinfaces mel. then in the command line or script editor simply type spinFaces;

should work. then place that same command ( spinFaces; ) on your shelf.

sometimes the script punks out when you open a new maya so just repeat the process.

Jay

Last edited by NextDesign; 16-02-2014 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Fixed nasty emoticon ruining command formatting.
# 14 17-02-2014 , 02:35 AM
Having Fun!!!!
Spin Faces Or Spin Edges??

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 17-02-2014 , 09:55 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Spin Faces

not maya's spin edges, that is a total waste of space...

Jay