Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 31 02-10-2002 , 04:05 AM
SM Alumni
I'm an information manager working on system migration atm. I got a son, wife & a freaking big mortgage. My wrist is useless, & my back is healing after a major op.

I love Maya but cant use it much, like footie ( too old to play-46), computing generally, & like beer with David & kevuser added image

gimme everything u got
# 32 02-10-2002 , 01:24 PM
MMM. lets see I live in Toronto Canada was born in Niagara Falls, am married to my wife Amber, no kids yet. Have a degree in fine art from Nova Scotia College of Art and Design majoring in illustration and painting, and a 9 month diploma in Maya. Right now im working as a freelance illusrator, and working on my new Demo Reel (Gideons Tale).

Thought I had my first job in the 3D feild last month working for a game company but they didn't want to do the work to sponsor me over to the U.S. So im a bit bummed about that (Was in california)

Hobbies, Likes and Dislikes

My Wife
MAYA
Modelling
Warcraft3
KickBoxing
Movies
Macintosh

DisLikes

Textureing/Swimming textures
Bad Movies
Traffic

Sorry guys I dont drink hehehe=)

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb

Last edited by Kurt; 02-10-2002 at 01:27 PM.
# 33 02-10-2002 , 02:30 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by kal
I'd really think twice about applying there.. I mean its cool that its close to you and you got a mate there, but there are better unis. especially for 3D/animation. Bournemouth and teeside spring to mind user added image

im looking at maybe going to swansea if i dont get into bourmouth, you heard anything about there?

# 34 02-10-2002 , 05:16 PM
SM Alumni
Not alot - one of the lecturers who was at Herts was talking about going for a job there cos he heard it was pretty good but went up north somewhere instead. I know one of the welsh uni's has a really good american animation lecturer but I cant remember if it was swansea or cardiff. Good luck with getting into Bournemouth dude - hope you get accepted cos its one cool place user added image

# 35 02-10-2002 , 07:42 PM
Subscriber
is there a site for that uni?

and how do they teach you animationg thru lectures? arent lectures jus the things where u sit down and have the lecturer talk at the front?

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 36 02-10-2002 , 08:07 PM
The Maya Mountain
Most lecturers (at least at my school) projected their computer screen in front of class and talks about stuff as he did it.

# 37 02-10-2002 , 08:59 PM
Subscriber
so you dont actually take part in it at all? is that just training centres?

- Simon

# 38 02-10-2002 , 11:52 PM
The Maya Mountain
class isn't JUST lectures... that's just one aspect of any instructional course on anything.. not just 3D

# 39 03-10-2002 , 02:56 PM
Subscriber
well im still at school so i wudnt no :p

- Simon

# 40 07-10-2002 , 03:29 PM
Subscriber
How much do you all want to bet that I'm the youngest Maya user here? I'm 17 and still in school. A junior that is. I did have a job at K-Mart, but quit because of the shoty management. I have had Maya Complete for a little over a year and plan to work for a companey where I could design games. I have been practicing game designs and concepts for about 3 years now, so I have a good grasp on things. I'd like to work for either RARE, who is responcible for the 8 million seller DK series, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, and Star Fox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet, or Natsume, who created Harvest Moon. Maybe Nintendo, too.

# 41 07-10-2002 , 05:56 PM
The Maya Mountain
nope you're not the youngest. user added image I'm 21, but I know there are a couple of other "youngsters" here. lol

# 42 07-10-2002 , 07:53 PM
Hmmm ... thought mtmckinley was quite older ...
<-- 21 also.

# 43 07-10-2002 , 08:23 PM
The Maya Mountain
I get that a lot. lol

# 44 11-10-2002 , 06:02 AM
I feel like the old man of this group at 34!

I've been in the animation business for 12 years now as a character animator for Disney (mostly commercials, [adverts in UK-speak], and the feature DuckTales the Movie-Treasure of the Lost Lamp, which we made in the Paris studio), Warner Bros. (new theatrical shorts), and various other traditional commercial projects.

Now I've fallen in love with 3D (or I got tired of making all those drawings!), and after creating a short in SoftImage, I thought it was time to learn Maya and create some new 3D work for my reel.

So now I'm on this site asking stupid newbie-type technical questions, and I am extremely pleased with the timely and informative answers from all you guys.

Cheers!
user added image

# 45 11-10-2002 , 10:47 AM
I'm 21 years old born and living in Lisbon, Portugal. Been hooked to computers since 6 years old when my dad gave me a Spectrum. user added image I'm studying Computer Science at the university. Like a lot of things related to computers, namely: programming (Java and C mainly), webdesign (anything goes, like using php+mysql and/or flash), 3d modelling (came up from max not long ago, didn't do anything worth WIP, also for lack of time), a lot of photoshop too user added image
Apart from that I love movies, listening to music of various genres, playing my guitar (I play very badly but I enjoy doin' it anyway), read and write, play some sports (being best at tennis).
No alcohol for me...
Browsing this forum has turn out to be a good addiction user added image

mayan@netcabo.pt

Last edited by mayan666; 11-10-2002 at 10:53 AM.