Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 01-11-2007 , 08:10 PM
hey looking alright just one thing i noticed was to me it seems the shoulders are a bit low that they should be a little bit higher but besides from that i would go with mtmckinley on using blendshapes they can really help fix up heaps of your little problems while still looking very fluent. i hope this helps

# 17 02-11-2007 , 06:06 AM
I just learned how to use blendshape and I'm a bit confused...
how is it supposed to help me 'fix up heaps of my little problems'user added image

# 18 02-11-2007 , 08:07 AM
I kind of finished my model... (finally :attn: I hate modeling humans. This is where it's supposed to get more fun...)
I worked on the head and body since last time, and also attached the foot.
Now I'm going to learn more about building a skeleton and IK handles...

Attached Images
# 19 03-11-2007 , 02:02 PM

Originally posted by BennyK
some progress on the body.
gster123: I mean the joints on both sides of the bone (so they don't collapse) like the elbow, wrist, shoulder, knee, ankle,etc.
lol, I mentioned almost everything...
Edit: sorry for not answering in the previous post. You posted your reply while I was writing mineuser added image

I'm a tad confused why you would need an influence object for those areas, if you mean in deformations at theose areas, thats what painting weights does, and then useing blandshapes to tweek the areas so that they dont collapse.

Suppose you could use one but I would give the painting a go then add the blend shapes to tweek it a bit.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 20 04-11-2007 , 05:12 AM

Originally posted by gster123
Suppose you could use one but I would give the painting a go then add the blend shapes to tweek it a bit.

I still don't understand how I'm supposed to use blandshape in this project. Can someone please explain that? 3 people suggested that I'll use blandshape, but I cant think of much uses other then facial expressions...

I didn't get to do much since my last post. I don't get much time on the computer at the moment. I managed to get a skeleton with FBIK for my character, skin it, and I also painted some weights for it. I'm going to start working on it again next week. Hope to get some help on that blandshape issue by than.
Benny

# 21 04-11-2007 , 05:29 AM
You might not need to use them at all, all depends on if you get strage defoemations that you cant paint.

What you would do then is create blend shapes so that you can morph the model to the correct shape that you want it, to get rid of the deformations.

# 22 04-11-2007 , 07:10 AM
You mean using it instead of rotating the joints? or use it in addition to rotating the joints? Or something else?
If it's the second option, Is there a script that can make it automatic?
BTW, I get a lot of '[I[strange deformations[/I] that I cant paint', and influences won't work for some reason user added image (they just don't influence the geometry in most cases, and when they do, They don't do it properly user added image )
Benny

# 23 04-11-2007 , 07:28 AM
yes in addition to rotating, and to make it automatic use a set driven key, so when you rotate the joint it makes the blendshape work.

Painting weights is a bit of a pain to start and takes a lot of time and practice to get it right, as well as good topology on the mesh.

# 24 04-11-2007 , 09:55 PM

Thanks!

I'll try that out soon. I need to learn how to use a driven key first but that doesn't sound like a problem...
Thanks again
Benny

# 25 05-11-2007 , 06:41 PM

Some questions about blendshape:

* When I create a blendshape and use it, the base translates
to the direction of the target. How do I prevent that?
* Sometimes when I try to create a blendshape I get en error:
"No deformable objects selected". Does someone know when this happens?
* Can I use just a piece of the base as a target?
Thanks in advance
Benny

# 26 10-11-2007 , 12:32 PM
I've wasted some time lately... anyway, I worked on some spots in my model and it lost it's role as a skin... I didn't like it anyway, now I'm working on the model, so when I skin it again the model will be just right (hopefully by then I'll get some answers to the questions in my previous post user added image ).

Here are some pants I've made for my character, Based on my friend's.
https://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8536/temptt7.th.png
I have another question about clothing:
What do I do to make it deform together with the character? Do I skin it to the skeleton too?
Thanks in advance,
Benny

Last edited by BennyK; 11-11-2007 at 12:29 AM.
# 27 10-11-2007 , 01:13 PM
A quick sketch I did in Maya with my characters (no skin weights or bledshape) of the scene I'm planing to create.
For those of us who don't know what this is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grappling

Before I get there I'm planing on modeling some more clothes for the second character and texturing everything, and afterwards model an arena. I was thinking of an octagon like in UFC ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimat...g_Championship )

Ideas and comments are always welcome
Benny

Attached Thumbnails
# 28 11-11-2007 , 10:13 AM
Lol. I totally thought that was something else till you said grappling if you know what I mean haha.

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 29 13-11-2007 , 09:20 AM

# 30 13-11-2007 , 10:04 AM
Hi Benny

If I was you I wouldent bother with blend shapes untill you sort out the weights painting, you'll get a decent enough deformation using just them, you can then always just tweek the geo once its posed, as its not an animation theres no worries.

Also could you post up a wireframe on the body, I think that you could do with some work on the armpit areas also maybe a bit of an overall tweek, on the shoulders etc.

Having a look at the wire will help see any problem areas that might arrise when skinning the character.

Also for clothing your best off skinning that to the character to, although depending on what your after you might be best off just modeling the clothes without the body (kind of like if you dont see it dont model it so to speak) as it will save you a lot of messing about painting at least 2 sets of weights that then will be intersecting with each other. The other option is to use cloth, I Ive used n cloth for a character, and you could skin it to the character before running the simulation. Although its whatever you choose.