Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 02-02-2008 , 09:03 AM

How do I go about doing this?

I'm trying to make this for a gun model of mine:
user added image

Any ideas on how I should make the rough/grip parts?

I don't even know there to start..

I thought of maybe maxing the number of subdiv. axis', then adding a bunch of edge loops, and extruding/beveling the extruded squares to make the rough looking part, but that would leave me with an unholy amount of faces.

# 2 02-02-2008 , 12:16 PM
Subscriber
I don't know if I'm right or not, but I'd try maybe bumpmapping I don't really know how to do that either so I can't be of any help in this department but I think thats what you'd do for that.

# 3 02-02-2008 , 12:18 PM
I'll see if I can find anything on that.

Thanks for the suggestion.

# 4 03-02-2008 , 07:42 AM
Subscriber
I'd definitely try bump mapping. Unless you are going for very high detail, bump mapping will be the simplest and most Maya friendly way of obtaining that effect.

# 5 03-02-2008 , 11:09 AM
I totally agree. Texture it and then bump map it. other wise it will be too much to model. unless you want it that way. when you add your material you get an option of bump map just load the bump map from there.

# 6 03-02-2008 , 11:23 AM
ill jump on the bump map band wagon. if you have photoshop try using the noise filter on the parts u want bumpy thats just an idea

# 7 03-02-2008 , 06:26 PM
Jr.Who
A displacement map would be better than a bump map.

# 8 07-02-2008 , 09:15 PM
Normal map would be better than bump, and quicker than displacement but it depends if you want to do real close-ups in which case make displacement map in photoshop or you could model it and extract the maps from it using the transfer map tool.

Gio

Gio

Creator of The Talos Project

# 9 07-02-2008 , 10:01 PM
Jr.Who
Gio,
I know the difference between a bump map and a displacement map, but what's the difference between a normal map and a displacement map?

# 10 07-02-2008 , 10:12 PM
It's kinda the same difference as between a bump and displacement except normal maps give you better quality appearance on curved protrusions due to the extra information in the file as it contains colour information rather just black to white.

I'd go for normal map on this one as you would have to go pretty close in order to appreciate the micro-poly displacement. Normal will render a lot quicker.

Gio

Gio

# 11 07-02-2008 , 10:20 PM
Senior Software Developer
OK,

Lets look at this from this angle

Where is the final model going to be used?
Game, Image, TV/Film

If Game is the final output I would go for textures and normal mapping or maybe a bump map as its just the scope for a gun.

If Image is the final output method then go for Normal Mapping or Displacement Map, this is the same for TV/Film...

All these are always dependant on how prominent this model will be to the viewer. Far way dont spend too much time nit picking, if its under there nose then get it as real as possible.

Normal Mapping and Displacement Maps and Bump Maps are all totaly different and I will try to explain as best I can...

Bump Maps as generated from Black and White Imges or Greyscale images and the height or depth is determinted from black to white (Back pushes out and white is depth, if I remeber right lol).

Normal Maps are generated by High Polygon Detailed Models and then "imprinted" onto the low poly model, and at render time produces a lot poly image with high poly details.

Displacement Maps are like bump maps, and are used to fake distortion of the geometry.

Forgive me if I get a few details wrong, I have not been spending that much time on the subject of 3D for a while and may have got it totaly wrong :blush: .
These are very basic explanations of the terms so go to the following links for a better explanation on these subjects:

Bump Map https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_map
Normal Map https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_Map
Displacement Map https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displacement_map

Enjoy

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 12 07-02-2008 , 10:31 PM
correct except displacement doesn't fake distortion it actually creates the high geometry version at rendertime, although I'm sure that's what you meant anyway.

Displacement seems like overkill for these details but it's up to GhosTz to decide at the end of the day.

Gio

Gio

# 13 08-02-2008 , 08:24 AM
Senior Software Developer

Originally posted by GioChrono
Displacement seems like overkill for these details but it's up to GhosTz to decide at the end of the day.

I couldn't agree more...

I always thought displacement was overkill for a lot of things tbh (except Procedural stuff). I would do normal or bump tbh.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)