Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 23-01-2011 , 08:55 PM

Mirror Geometry Problem

Hi guys.

I am doing a tutorial at the moment for practice, and I have come to the part where I need to mirror the geo.

I have done the following to try and fix the issues.

- Snapped all the edge verts to the central axis

- Turned on Merge Verts and Merge with Original

- Played around with the PolyMirror1 node Merge Threshold value

None of this is working. I went over my model and couldn't find any flaws that would create the kind of weirdness I'm seeing when I mirror.

The nose, chin, and underneath where a space for the neck should be, all pull in to one vertex.

An assessment by some more experienced eyes would be really appreciated.

Cheers

user added image

user added image

Last edited by Igraph; 23-01-2011 at 08:58 PM.
# 2 23-01-2011 , 09:10 PM
The thin red line
After the merge look on the right hand side at the channel box, click on the mirror opperation you have just done this will give you the merge threshhold change it there...........dave

# 3 23-01-2011 , 09:25 PM
Thank you so much dave!

It worked like a charm...I tried altering that exact same entry before, but perhaps I mucked around too much with other settings or something.

Anyhow, problem solved, cheers!

# 4 24-01-2011 , 08:24 AM
Yeah, I have no idea what is going on. But my model isn't mirroring correctly.

I've deleted the object's history, made sure all the verticies that are supposed to be on the axis are, and I've made sure to turn off retain component spacing. I don't know what's wrong...