Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 76 11-09-2009 , 05:45 PM
I like very much the muscles really nice anatomy.

Waiting for more :p

# 77 17-09-2009 , 07:57 PM
Cheers Coldwave!

Got the hardest bit of the texturing done now, the base coat for the legs, will be adding more detail and changing the colour a bit in PS but getting the colour blocked in was quite a task!

Going to start on the main body soon....

Attached Thumbnails
# 78 17-09-2009 , 08:47 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Look good... what made the legs so hard to paint?

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 79 17-09-2009 , 09:00 PM
Thanks Steve, the hard part was just getting the colour into all the indentations, not really "hard", just time consuming really! lol

Here's a close up of what I mean....

If I'd known what colours I was going to do him in the beginning I would have just added the colour whilst adding all the "weblike" detailing bits....

I'll plan it all a bit better with my next one! Hahaha

Attached Thumbnails
# 80 17-09-2009 , 09:09 PM
# 81 17-09-2009 , 09:32 PM
Subscriber
looks minty fresh! user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 82 17-09-2009 , 09:36 PM

Originally posted by Chirone
looks minty fresh! user added image

Spearminty! Hahaha

It's only that colour so it's easier to select in PS, will be more yellow/green when done, hopefully....

Last edited by Dango77; 17-09-2009 at 09:38 PM.
# 83 17-09-2009 , 09:49 PM
You could have just masked by cavity, and that would have isolated the inset sections, then you can reverse the mask, and paint in these sections without painting on the more prominent features.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 84 17-09-2009 , 09:53 PM
Subscriber
Hey Dango,
Ive been quietly watching this and looks great the one thing i dont like and think really lets the piece down is the legs. All i would change about them is to make them less straight. Either add some flex to them like they are really supporting the body or some thickness to the knees. Something just to make it look like its supporting rather than just sticking out.

The rest of the work is fantastic tho its been great to watch your skills improve you should be really happy with what you have achieved user added image

T

- Big Tom
www.digitaltom.co.uk
# 85 17-09-2009 , 09:53 PM
Steve:
Yeah, I tried that, but it didn't really work, there were too many other dents, bumps etc for it to mask it right.
I ended up with a really patchy mask and I would've ended up spending just as long cleaning it all up after anyway.

Pity there's not a Magic Wand like tool for polypainting, that'd be so helpful! lol

Last edited by Dango77; 17-09-2009 at 09:58 PM.
# 86 17-09-2009 , 09:57 PM
Thanks TommyB!

I'm quite glad you noticed that about the legs, I had actually planned to give them a slight bend once back in Maya!
I didn't do it at the start because I was going to see how easy it would be to do that with the transpose in Z, but after a couple of attempts I wasn't really happy with it so left it.

Just hope when I do that in Maya it doesn't mess with the Norm map or texturing too much, shouldn't do so hopefully it'll be ok.

Thanks for the good words, I'm doing my best and will keep on learning as much as I can!

# 87 17-09-2009 , 09:58 PM

Originally posted by Dango77
Yeah, I tried that, but it didn't really work, there were too many other dents, bumps etc for it to mask it right.
I ended up with a really patchy mask and I would've ended up spending just as long cleaning it all up after anyway.

Pity there's not a Magic Wand like tool for polypainting, that'd be so helpful! lol

Hmm, did you isolate the legs as a subtool, or as their own poly-group? Also, you can strengthen a mask (make it sharper or softer) by holding 'ctrl' and tapping on the mesh to make it softer, and holding 'ctrl' + 'alt' and tapping on the mesh to make it sharper.

But, hey... it's done now, so, what's the difference? user added image

EDIT* What problems are you having with the transpose tool?

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 88 17-09-2009 , 10:00 PM
The legs were isolated as a group, but didn't actually think of the "strengthening the mask" thing!

Dammit!

Hahaha!

Will remember that for the future!

Cheers mate.

*Edit* No real problem with the transpose, just didn't like the result so left it for now as I wanted to concentrate on the texturing.

Last edited by Dango77; 17-09-2009 at 10:04 PM.
# 89 21-09-2009 , 12:58 AM
Done a little bit more, started to give the legs a bit of a flex to them, needs a bit more adjusting, and done a bit more to the texturing, still a little way to go though.

Attached Thumbnails
# 90 21-09-2009 , 11:35 AM
First render done, needs some work doing to it, and haven't added texturing for the eyes, tongue or claws yet, but getting there!

Not really happy with the brain detailing yet, so will work on that a bit too.

Attached Thumbnails