Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 25-07-2011 , 09:11 PM

Growing Grass ...

How do I confine growing grass to stay within an object (like a box) so that it doesn’t penetrate through the sides?

# 2 25-07-2011 , 10:26 PM
The thin red line
How are you making the grass.........dave

# 3 26-07-2011 , 12:38 AM

Grass...

I,m replying from home, but I believe I used the grass preset from the "Fur" shelf. Then I used the "Convert paint effects to polygons" from the "Convert" menu. I'm trying to get grass to grow up through a box that has an eight bin grid. It grows up just fine but the grass blades pertrude through the sides. Using the active/passive rigid body dynamics workflow doesn't seem to be working. Although I may have missed something there. Don't think so though.

# 4 26-07-2011 , 09:20 AM
The thin red line
Make sure the grass is not sticking into the box mesh at the start of the animation also if you are scaling the grass to animate change the position of the scale tool to the bottom of the mesh(insert key)..........dave

# 5 26-07-2011 , 05:08 PM

Grass ...

This has really got me stumped. Searched everywhere for some sort of tutorial or answer and come up short. You're actually the ONLY response i've gotten (which I truly appreciate) form any of the sites I've posted on. Lots of typical "Growing Grass" tutorials but nothing relating to this. It actually just boils down to getting grass ( either Furs "Grass" preset or using Paint Effects) to act as a Active Rigid Body and the container to act as a Passive Rigid Body ... so as not to have the grass penetrate through the containers sides. Any thoughts? I'm at my wits end here. Maybe I'm approaching this the wrong way. Funny this has never come up before.

# 6 26-07-2011 , 05:51 PM
The Nurb Herd
maybe a screen shot or two would help better explain the problem, but in the meantime have you tried playing around with the tolerance on the rigid solver?

# 7 26-07-2011 , 05:59 PM
The thin red line
I will try as much as I can to help, try smooth x 2 the box (add polys).How are you getting them to grow......dave

# 8 26-07-2011 , 07:37 PM

Grass ...

First off ... thanks Daverave and Honestdom. The problem I'm running into is that Maya wants the grass to be either a Poly or Nurbs object in order to be able to act as a Active Rigid Body. Doing that conversion causes all sorts of geometry error messages when trying to apply the rigid body solvers to the converted polys. Thus unable to use apply the Active Rigid Body on the geometry. What about making (if possible) the grass a Soft Body? Would that be of any use to me. I just want the black plastic container to confine the grass within its interior and not penetrate through the walls. Check the grab I've supplied. Maybe that sheds a little light on my problem.

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 26-07-2011 , 08:20 PM
The thin red line

# 10 26-07-2011 , 08:31 PM

Grass ...

I have seen that particular tutorial, but it doesn't solve my penetration problem. Creating the grass and animating it has never been the issue. I need to figure out a way of containing the grass within the box.

# 11 26-07-2011 , 08:35 PM
The thin red line
maya hair has it built into it constrains......dave

# 12 26-07-2011 , 09:04 PM
The Nurb Herd
did you try either of the suggestions?

# 13 26-07-2011 , 09:54 PM

Grass ...

I got pulled onto another project temporarily. If I don't get to this tonight I'll try it first thing Wednesday.
Thanks for all the input so far. I'll post the results of your suggestions asap. I've noted your help with my production people here. Thanks.