Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 31 27-11-2007 , 02:35 PM
Subscriber
no offense gster, but I know you can do much better than this. The armor and stuff doesn't look very well thought out and it appears to be extrusions here and there and then letting polysmooth do the work. You can't take shortcuts here user added image

Get an idea for the design and model for that design. I'd start by drawing out several variations until you find something you really like. Then develop that in 3d.

# 32 27-11-2007 , 03:20 PM
Senior Software Developer
Lookin good steve well done so far.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 33 27-11-2007 , 11:27 PM

Originally posted by Funky Bunnies
no offense gster, but I know you can do much better than this. The armor and stuff doesn't look very well thought out and it appears to be extrusions here and there and then letting polysmooth do the work. You can't take shortcuts here user added image

Get an idea for the design and model for that design. I'd start by drawing out several variations until you find something you really like. Then develop that in 3d.

Cheers Man,

Yeah its a bit of a trial, theres no real "substance" in there, I was just getting some Ideas out, Ive got the internet back on at home so i'll have a proper look for some ideas.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 34 28-11-2007 , 12:51 AM
Nice start on the body armor gster-how about adding some buckles? maybe split the armor into parts first and add straps and so on? looking forward to seeing more or this one mate!

# 35 10-12-2007 , 02:37 AM
had a bit of a re-think with the armour, been trying different designs, had a look at the Cybermen form Dr Who for a bit of insparation, still not too sure as yet.

I'll probably add scuffs, dings in the texturing.

Attached Thumbnails

# 36 10-12-2007 , 09:31 AM
cool - this is definitely looking a lot better - i like the new direction. glad to see you are still working on this. user added image

what are you planning for his lower half?

# 37 10-12-2007 , 09:46 AM
Cheers Arran,

I was thinking of texturing the black "body cover" so its ribbed where the armour does not cover him, so to speak, and then give him just shoulder armour (not too sure on thins one yet, might reduve the parts over the shoulders to fit it in or just leave it like it is???), forearm armour, thigh, knee and lower leg/boots all in one armour.

Think its going to be fun to UV, texture and then rig!

# 38 27-12-2007 , 10:26 PM
bit of an update, gave him a texture for his face today,to ease me back into 3d after the christmas break!

Attached Thumbnails

# 39 27-12-2007 , 10:42 PM
Senior Software Developer
Not very clean shaven is he :p

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 40 28-12-2007 , 06:42 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Not bad, though it looks like your relying on the smooth Mesh feature to make or brake your model.

All of the armor pieces seem to have been basically blocked out, and then had the SMP applied to smooth them out, and your just pulling verts out until they form a crease.

You should really build up a good solid base mesh, and bevel edges, and construct a SOLID mesh this way... then apply a smooth if the need be. This may take allot longer, and will require some planing.

Get some concepts drawn, and set your mind to work on a design, and develop this design in 3D.

Your results could improve tenfold.

What you have is looking good though!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 41 28-12-2007 , 12:10 PM
Mayaniac thanks for the comments,

I'm not relying on the smooth mesh to make the model, what i'm doing is blocking in the areas that I want and the overall shape, i'll then go back and add the details later on either via modeling, displacment, or just plain texturing, what I dont want to do is a shed load of work adding the detials then go back on it.

It has a lot of beveled edges, I'm not just pulling the verts out till I get it how I want, I think the SMP is giving a look quite different to the actual topology of the model