Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 27-12-2009 , 09:34 AM

Flame in streetlamp

Hey guys, I'm somewhat new to maya and I'm currently working on a small park scene. The basic idea is a streetlamp with a burning flame in the top next to a small park bench by a cobblestone walkway with grass on both sides. I've been trying to get a good flame effect for longer than I'd care to admit. I've tried quite the variety of things, I've done a small sphere with the dynamic ---> fire and I've also done the fire brush. Neither of which are really doing what I need....
I'm looking for something similar to a candleflame, but brighter.

Any ideas? user added image

# 2 27-12-2009 , 11:11 AM
I'm biased, but I would always do this type of thing in your compositor.
-always have more control
-faster
-etc, etc..

If you MUST do it in 3d, then have you tried applying and tweaking one of the fluids presets?
There should be a few in there that will give you a great start.

If you are not sure how to do it in post, lemme knowuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 27-12-2009 , 08:11 PM
Yeah i've seen multiple things using fluids and it looks great but im not running on unlimiteduser added image

I'd like to do the flame in maya simply because im trying to get back into the whole maya vibe.

Thanksuser added image

# 4 28-12-2009 , 10:41 AM
Subscriber
You can use maya soft bodies for such an effect.

Google search 'maya soft body flame', I believe gnomon have a tutorial that gives just the effectyour after (without the need for fluids).

Cheers,
Chris