Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 13-06-2003 , 09:59 AM

Soft Selection equivalent.

Hi I've recently moved from max to Maya.

One of the things that I found great in Max for creating morph targets for facial animation, was soft selection.

Does anyone know if there is a way of doing this in Maya. Is there a plugin which gives Maya this abillity.

Thanks.

# 2 13-06-2003 , 12:47 PM
The Maya Mountain
Modify > Transformation Tools > Proportional Modification Tool

# 3 13-06-2003 , 06:37 PM
Thanks for the reply,

That tool doesn't seem to work on polygon components and unfortunately I'm working only in polygons, but it does do the kind of thing that I want to be able to do.

As in the image that i have attached, I want to be able to just move a vertex in say the corner of a character's mouth and for this to influence the other vertices around it.

Are deformers like wire and clusters the best way of doing this in Maya?

They just don't seem quite as quick and easy as Soft Selection is, for doing little tweaks.

Thanks.

Attached Images
# 4 13-06-2003 , 07:38 PM
Subscriber
Have you tried Edit Polygons>Sculpt Polygons Tool? You can easily push, pull, or smooth multiple vertices at once on poly meshes and define how much force is applied with each stroke.

# 5 13-06-2003 , 09:10 PM
Sculpt Poly is an amazing tool and great for lots of things ,but it doesn't allow you to move vertices along a plane as in the above image. You can only really push or pull them and that doesn't seem to be useful for say, moving the corner af a character's mouth up.

I've tried using lattices to make these sort of tweaks, but they don't seem as quick as soft selection.

# 6 14-06-2003 , 01:32 AM
The Maya Mountain
proportional modification tool works for me when using polys. Not sure what the problem might be.

# 7 14-06-2003 , 10:18 AM
I'm stupid . I see how it works now, I had the settings wrong. Thanks - Hey that works pretty good.