Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 03-07-2003 , 02:44 AM
Subscriber

your experience with fur

hi gang, please give me some insights with using fur based on your past experience: 1) is it like CLOTH? takes a long time to calculate 2)is it best for short or long hair? 3)would you recommend just modeling the hair or use MAYA fur. 4) are there setting that reduce the calculations, like rough medium or fine??? obviously have never used it before, so please give me your opinion before i dive into something i cannot finish. thanx a bunch. Jmmy

# 2 03-07-2003 , 12:59 PM
Subscriber
like many things in Maya Fur is a Post effect and rendering can take very long time. the use of fur is totally up to you and the outlook you want to accomplish. There are many things that you can use Paint effects for to get the same look. When messing with fur its not like other things in Maya to get things dome like lighting, shadows animation etc. its all controlled from the fur menu. Here is an example of fur used in a field scenerio. the scale of the fur is very short, and there is about one million pieces. Took 20 minutes to render the frame at 1280 x 720.

user added image

# 3 03-07-2003 , 04:39 PM
Subscriber
fur is not intended to use for long hair - so short hair and with some tweaking medium lenght hair. compatibility is also an issue - fur is not compatible with mental ray (even when fur is similiar to pfx, it cannot be converted to polys). so if you need other renderes than the maya renderer you could use ultrafur from pixar to be able to export fur to prman.

# 4 04-07-2003 , 12:45 AM
Subscriber
personally, i dnt like it, its easy to use but is very slow

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com