Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 31-07-2017 , 02:35 PM

Please help... PC freezes during ncloth cache and/or ncloth timeline playback

Hello everyone,
I'm really getting frustrated about using ncloth because it always end up giving me one problem or the other. Now i have successfully set up the ncloth fairly well on the character however, whenever i wanna cache the animation to view the ncloth sim it starts well and then freezes my PC eventually and I would have to do a force shutdown. I'm I overworking the PC or I'm i doing something wrong. The ncloth thickness is set to very low so it can't be that. It's a short clip not a game character so, I'm gonna need that cloth simulation if I can. And I won't be able to troubleshoot the ncloth setting of I don't see how it runs throughout the scene.
My scene comprises of:
2,000 frames
127,139 faces
And the character with the ncloth has 22,582 faces
While the shirt and trouser with the ncloth has 18,000 faces
The second character has 12,504 faces
Which all sum up to be 199,901 faces
My PC specs:
Windows 10
Core i7-2600 @ 3.4ghz
8gig ram (i have 2x 4gig but, they crash my pc often so i took 'em off)
Nvidia GT 730 4gig (I know it's one of the crappiest gpu but, that's what I can get for now)
Maya 2015

What are your suggestions please?

# 2 31-07-2017 , 08:12 PM
Subscriber
Have you checked your hard drives - eg are they full. I had my cache going to the default area of my hard drive for a smoke sim and it kept crashing out - it turns out the cache need ed 220 gigs of hard drive space and filling up my C:\ - moving the file to my 2TB drive solved my problem.

I hope its as simple as that for you aswell

# 3 01-08-2017 , 08:24 AM

Have you checked your hard drives - eg are they full. I had my cache going to the default area of my hard drive for a smoke sim and it kept crashing out - it turns out the cache need ed 220 gigs of hard drive space and filling up my C:\ - moving the file to my 2TB drive solved my problem.

I hope its as simple as that for you aswell

Thank you for your response...
I had close to like 50gig of free space. I'm gonna free like a little more than a 100gigs, do you think that would solve it if it was a space problem or do I have to free about 200gigs to be sure?

# 4 01-08-2017 , 11:37 AM
Never mind the previous reply pal... I've freed 210g and about to try it again... I'll inform you what happened.

# 5 01-08-2017 , 06:24 PM
Subscriber
The free space depends on the sim - It changes on a case by case basis.

My sim looked nice but dame was not expecting it to take up so much space.

Good Luck

# 6 01-08-2017 , 08:21 PM

The free space depends on the sim - It changes on a case by case basis.

My sim looked nice but dame was not expecting it to take up so much space.

Good Luck

So, the system didn't crash this time but, it would take close to 24hrs to finish cashing the 2000-frame animation. I think I'm gonna have to quit on n-cloth and just skin the cloth to the character because I don't think I can wait 24hrs everytime I make a troubleshoot of any part of the cloth.