Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 30-08-2012 , 03:33 PM
Innards work has begun.

Just a note, I'm testing my total (modeling/texturing/etc.) chops on this model alone for a while before I begin tackling the rest of the modeling for the set. It'll be a good way to shake off the cobwebs and increase my skill-set. To that, It will be allot of work on this first piece for the next week or two (work a long day job so my modeling time is sparse each day).

This In case anyone was wondering why I'm focusing/posting on so much of this rather deceptively simple object for the time being.

To that...

As I finish the main structure(s). I'm looking forward to the next phase of texturing, weathering and then a final soft select tool "spot-wash" over the geometries to "real up" the final model to a less perfectly fabricated/symmetrical state.

Today's entry...Innards struts and deleted face-work in prep for the wheel-rungs and wheels/wheel slots...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by TravisCowsill; 30-08-2012 at 03:35 PM.
# 17 31-08-2012 , 03:43 PM
Okay then...

So I decided to start playing with texturing on the main toolbox shell (housing) this morning. Got about two good hours in to get the hang of it.

Please note the following...

There's still allot of fine work to do on the model"s edges and bringing the bevels into total realism, so things are just a little sharp here and there around the bottom corners and interior edges presently.

Also, I'll be going into this texture to remove about 90% of the dark rust-marbling spots in the grey sections to match it up to the screen prop. But I got the overall color and rust stain patterns pretty nicely in the paint.

I have also not yet added the "bump: detail.

So now I have a nice base shader/projection map to fine tune later for this prop. Back to modelling. looking to wrap this this weekend.

Attached Thumbnails
# 18 02-09-2012 , 01:12 PM
Started clean up of my texture file removing the marbling. I have a bit of work to extend the grey section for a larger texture slate, then will do fine assignment on the model to get rid of the repeat symmetry when I finish modeling.

Innards built (support struts and wheel rungs (not pictured here), front wheels, and inner drawer back panel.

Also started playing with the ocean asset and a bit of sun and sky to break the monotony of this project and work up my skill set. I did a 600 frame floating, flooded toolbox animation (my first Maya animation-woo hoo) that I'll post tomorrow once the 30 hour render is complete. Screen shot at bottom below.

Cheers everyone!

TC

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by TravisCowsill; 02-09-2012 at 01:30 PM.
# 19 04-09-2012 , 05:50 PM
CaPS LoCK STUCK. oN MY SHT LaPToP ...

Attached Thumbnails
# 20 06-09-2012 , 05:20 AM
Okay then...

The Toolbox on the ocean side project is wrapped for the time being.

Here's the link to the rough animation first pass test. It's not perfect. I will work more on it as my skill set improves.

Please NOTE: There is a skip in the loop when it cycles back to frame one. No inbetweens-these are just the keys for now. I'll eventually smooth out a few moves, remove/tweak a few key frames and tighten up the timing of the animation on the box and the wave speed. I also slowed it down in a bit of slow motion to compensate for the timing being a wee bit too fast. But, well, there you go.

It's at draft resolution/batch render so very low res and jagged.

Real flow, bells and whistles at a later date when I feel like playing with it again.

I'll work more on this on the side as the months progress. Fun little experiment. Now back to fininhing the texture and modeling and back onto the primary horror set work. Thanks for looking.

My first 3d key animation...ever.

Small moves Ellie...small moves.

Toolbox on the ocean 03 final rough Key animation - YouTube

Last edited by TravisCowsill; 06-09-2012 at 05:22 AM.
# 21 04-10-2012 , 06:08 PM
Sorry fr the lack of updates here. I've been wrapped up with my other projects. I'll be updating this thread over the weekend with new stuff.