Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 10-01-2013 , 12:23 PM

Hello SimplyMaya

Hello, I'm Vinnyboiler. I'm trying to get a feel for online modeling communities while getting feedback on my work at the same time. What I'm currently modeling via Maya is a realistic furniture set for a video game mod.

user added image
user added image
user added image

I'm currently having issues with texturing since I'm trying to texture though Photoshop CS6's 3D texturing features.

Here's wire-frames in case you wanted to look at the models via that.
user added image
user added image
user added image

I'd say I'm still a beginner when it comes to 3D modeling so any advice and critique would be very appreciative.

# 2 10-01-2013 , 12:55 PM
Your items are looking good are any of these brake up items ?

You know you have been working too long in cg when your out side and you look up at the trees and say

"Wow that's spectacular resolution ."
# 3 10-01-2013 , 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Hello Vinnyboiler and welcome to SM! I'm a little skeptical of Photoshop's 3D capabilities but I guess I'll never know til I try it. I'd say you're off to a good start. But you never did describe your texturing problems. A couple things I noticed, the chair back looks really thin in that 3/4 view so that looks a bit strange. Also you could probably cut down the poly count on that and give the cushion a bit more resolution, see pic and those are just the edges that you can get rid of, I'm sure it can be streamlined more.

Added: The red marker for the edge in the middle of the chair back is meant to represent the entire edge loop running down the middle of the frame.

Attached Images

- Genny

Last edited by Gen; 10-01-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: clear up something about the edits
# 4 10-01-2013 , 11:43 PM
Lifetime Member
I have experimented with PS 3D paint Gen and I wasnt impressed. Unless CS6 has improved it immensely its a waste of time, easier to UV and do it the old way. Looks good Vinny, Im with Gen on the back of the chair though. Just a little tip too Vinny, watch the sharp edges if you are going to use normal maps to apply to the lopoly models for the game. They do NOT like 90° edges, so you will have to bevel them at some stage.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 17-01-2013 , 12:23 PM
This is what I mean by texture problems Gen:
user added image

Just a little tip too Vinny, watch the sharp edges if you are going to use normal maps to apply to the lopoly models for the game. They do NOT like 90° edges, so you will have to bevel them at some stage.

Cheers bullet

Oh thanks bullet, I was wonder what was causing the texturing issues. I'll probably should go back to
simple UV's as I don't believe I should adapt my model due to software issues with texturing. I'm certainly keeping an eye out for updates with PS3D though since it did feel more user friendly to me (unless there are other texturing programs you could recommend).

With the chair, I don't know if the problem is to do with the proportion or if it's the camera angle, here's a image of it from behind:
user added image
But I really want to get the proportions right as I would eventually want to move on to creating humans in Maya and I think getting a flair for proportions is pretty important when it comes to that.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by Vinnyboiler; 17-01-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Accidentally posted early.
# 6 17-01-2013 , 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
Those texture problems look like the paint job didn't cover the entire UV shell, well that's my guess. As for interactive texturing, there are quite a few to choose from, Zbrush/Mudbox/3D Coat/ Body Paint 3D and more expensive ones like Mari.

The chair definitely has some strange facets to it, the top seems buckled and razor thin. Did you stick any human reference in your scene, a pic of someone standing around would help if you needed to get a better feel for the proportions.

- Genny
# 7 18-01-2013 , 03:31 AM
Lifetime Member
Im with Gen...as rule I stick a human in there or at least a 1.8m x 0.3 x0.3 cube. This is a base human height I use. OR you can make dimension cubes..1m 2m etc etc to get the proportions correct. Look up dimensions on google mate, there are lots in there, standard chair height, bench heights etc so they all fit in together. just go to a DIY site some where, tey usually have all the dimensions you need.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes