Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 10-05-2006 , 05:56 AM

Music VIdeo

Hi all,

I've been asked to make a music video for a dance track. Of course, I am totally outa my legue on this one user added image

I have uploaded a short section of the clip to show the Maya work thus far:

https://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=3858716
(the video is rendered as a windows media (wmv) - hope this is ok)

I would really like some feedback if possible....?

Please note - is is only my 2nd attempt at using maya & I still have not finished the 1st - lol.

I'm am also happy to answer any questions.....

Cheers......

https://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=3858716

# 2 10-05-2006 , 03:58 PM
Subscriber
really nice video tiddles

i liked it, specially the animation if ur a new maya user, excellent work. :attn:
the only crit i have is that the lighting may need a bit of tweaking. example: use more spotlight lights may give it a more "skarier look" rather than point light or directional light.

other than that love the animationuser added image

# 3 10-05-2006 , 09:07 PM
Thanks for the kind words!

The suggestion on lighting is a good one. As I am still very new to all this, I really do need to play around with that.

The original idea was to just make the alien, then comp him into a virtual set (www.seriousmagic.com). This was ment to save time etc, however I soon realised that his eyes & shoulders etc had no reflections and it looked really crappy.

So I was 'forced' to build parts of the room. Seems that with every cam angle I chose, I had to build a little more of the room as it would be seen in background - lol.

4 or 5 cam anlges later, the room was completely re-modeled in Maya. I still use the virtual set for any front on cam angles, leaving my model just to fill in the background of panning shots or close ups.

I have attched a quick render of the complete Maya elements. (lighting is ramped up a bit so I could see it all)

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 11-05-2006 , 04:37 AM
If anyone interested.....

Here is a couple of shots of the 'control panel'. Keep in mind that I was trying for ultra low-tech.....

Hmmm, I'd like to try one of these instead of my keyboard & mouse. Could only improve my Maya skills - lol

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 11-05-2006 , 04:38 AM
and with some basic textures...

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 11-05-2006 , 05:18 AM
And now some shots of the alien....

To give credit where it's due, the arms are NOT my work (free download from turbosquid.com). I did however re-rig them and all the actual animation is my own.

Also the basic head shape was heavly borrowed from a concept I found somewhere online (can't remember site now). But I did play with shape and added teeth & fangs etc.

He was fun to make and I was basically flying blind as I cannot draw to save my life so did not do the right thing and use referance image planes.

Comments would be appreciated :attn:

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 11-05-2006 , 05:19 AM
some texture....

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 11-05-2006 , 05:20 AM
Another angle....

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 11-05-2006 , 05:25 AM
last one....

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 11-05-2006 , 06:43 PM