Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 06-06-2005 , 10:19 AM
Subscriber

Lego City police car

Woo hoo, I've finally finished something! I'm quite pleased with how this has turned out, especially with the lighting (which I didn't really know much about before). For those of you who are interested, its a polygon model. I modelled each brick individually. Also, I did not use Mental Ray/Final Gather to do this, just good old Maya software render, with a bit of help from GI Joe and a couple of my own light sources.

I guess the only thing I'm not that happy with is the look of the car lights, but I'm still learning about lighting and rendering, so I can't make everything great!

I think I'll make a start on the lego policeman to go with this. I hope you guys like it anyway :p

p.s, any questions you guys might have about how I did this, I'll gladly answer (and sorry about the quality of the image).

Attached Thumbnails

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 2 06-06-2005 , 11:45 AM
Subscriber
I've been watching the process - from the start - and simply want to say well done. I liked the concept (plus it was great to have a break from the usual types of cars we usually see!!!).

A comment I have about you "not being happy with the lights". In art people fiddle with details and change things repeatedly simply because they are scared to say - that's it done - you have said it's finished - so, once again - well done and a good job.

best

Keith

# 3 06-06-2005 , 01:16 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the kind words Keith. I really like modelling, and because the actual modelling part of the car wasn't difficult, I thought I'd take a proper crack at the lighting. I know exactly what you mean about fiddling with details, I spent ages working out what changing different settings was doing, and eventually I just thought it wasn't worth fiddling anymore, I was happy with where it was. Anyway, I'm a modeller and not a lighter, I won't try to be great at everything and I'd rather just concentrate on a few aspects.

I did a seperate specular pass in the end for the final thing. Its amazing how much extra control you get when you can individually tweak each render pass. I should have done seperate reflection and shadow passes too, but I know for next time :p

Thanks again user added image

# 4 08-06-2005 , 05:21 AM
Subscriber
AWESOME! I've seen some of your work when I've had time to look at the forum. Its very good! How are you getting on with the R1 model? I'm half way through my self.

# 5 08-06-2005 , 05:57 AM
Subscriber
Looks great Lisa.

So are you going to make the whole set user added image

# 6 08-06-2005 , 06:50 AM
Subscriber
Lisa,
Looks great and like you had a lot of fun doing it. If the Moving Picture Company ever goes under you have a promising career in Lego marketing.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 7 08-06-2005 , 08:31 AM
Subscriber
Thanks everyone. I love posting work on this site, because everybody is so encouraging :p

thehornet, I'm still doing the R1 model, I'm about half-way through too. I got sidetracked with this though!! Its an awesome tut, I really like Kurts technique of modelling, and now I use NURBs a lot more to speed up my workflow to make the basic shapes. I am going to finish it (promise!), I really want to texture it up myself. Once I've finished it, I think I'll take a bash at modelling another bike, using the same techniques. Have you got some WIPs up of your R1?

Thanks BMS. I haven't checked out your trout for a while. Is it nearly finished? I don't think I'll make the whole set, though it is tempting, lol! I will model the lil' policeman though to go with the car (and maybe a speed camera too, to be politically correct - the real model actaully comes with a little lego speed camera, I ouldn't believe it! ) user added image

mhcannon, working in lego would be fun!! Its one toy you can never get tired of!

# 8 08-06-2005 , 09:46 AM
Subscriber
I'm not quite ready to post a WIP yet of the R1. I needed a little time out from it so have just started the MADLAB lession. It's really fun and I love Kurts style.

Please let me know how you go with texturing the R1 Lisa. I'm mad on bikes and started the R1 project to give me an idea of what I needed to do to model my own bike. Now every day I go out to the shed and ponder what I would need to do to make that look like that etc. It's driving my other half mad.:headbang:

# 9 08-06-2005 , 01:54 PM
Subscriber
I know what you mean. Once you start getting involved with 3D, you start to really notice things about even the most mundane of objects, things like 'how would I go about modelling that', or, 'how would I make a shader to look just like that piece of metal'. Its cool though, you have a much better understanding and appreciation of everything, and how its made up. Its even cooler when you make it look good in cg!

# 10 08-06-2005 , 02:24 PM
Subscriber
I know what you mean. The world somehow looks diffrent after you've sat at the computer for 6 hours playing with maya. I love it! It's like taking a lump of clay and moulding it to whatever you want!:attn: And when you do something that looks how it ment to. Ahhhhhhh Joy!:attn: