Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 21-01-2008 , 12:31 PM

"nonmanifold geometry"??

Hello.
using Maya 8.5 on Precision 690
Windows XP Pro

I am trying to convert a poly I have created in to a subdiv. When I try to do this I am given an error message directing me to the script editor. Below is the explanation and correction given:

"Nonmanifold geometry cannot be converted to a subdivision surface.
// To clean up nonmanifold edges, use Mesh->Cleanup with the nonmanifold option."

When I do this my poly switches to component mode with certain edges selected and the problem is solved.

What is "nonmanifold geometry" and how do I avoid creating it?

Thank you.
T

# 2 21-01-2008 , 12:56 PM
from what i gather, non-manifold geometry is usually extra vertices, flipped normals, stuff like that. quickest fix is usually to enter component mode, select all your vertices, press delete (to delete floating verts) and then choose merge vertices. with a small enough tolerance, you shouldn't see problems with your model, and extra and unmerged verts will usually be resolved. after that it gets a little more tricky.

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 21-01-2008 , 01:13 PM
Thanks. That makes sense.

T