Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 23-03-2014 , 01:02 PM
Subscriber

Living Room Scene & UV Mapping/Texturing

Hi people,

I have a general question and need the advice of some professionals.

Until now I've modeled tons of stuff, furniture's, game props etc. as single pieces. Now I've started with a living room, and during the modeling process I was already thinking about the fact of UV Mapping & Texturing the scene.
  1. [1]What is the best way to do that? Should I really unwrap every object? Also that one without textures having only solid colors?
    [2]Should I use one UV Map or multiple maps?
    [3]Should I first model the scene, and then texture only 1 object (1 cushion and then duplicate it)?
Can somebody point me to the right workflow?

Many thanks in advance for your help and support.

# 2 24-03-2014 , 05:29 AM
Subscriber
Hi Lecra,
of course everybody will find his own workflow fitting to the style of work and preferences. The UV-Processing is basically required if you want to add a texture to your object to place it properly and in the correct scale.
(1) If you have objects you simply want to add a Maya material shader or a mental ray material with solid colors and without any texture of course you don't need to unwrap the UV.
(2) For each different object you should have a own map, only if objects are similar in shape and size and supposed to have the same texture you should transfer the texture information from one object to the next object.
(3) like said, you can model the scene complete and then transfer the UV to similar objects, for example you have 4 similar wooden chairs, you do the texturing at one chair, then you transfer the UV under Mesh (Polygon), transfer Attributes, make sure, that the UV Options are ticked

# 3 26-03-2014 , 10:58 PM
Subscriber
Hi husbyhogan,
Many thanks for your suggestions. Very valuable feedback. I will try to follow your input and texturing such a scene and perhaps share the outcome :-)

# 4 27-03-2014 , 05:28 AM
Subscriber
Hope it works out!