Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 02-12-2014 , 06:57 PM

OBJ Texture Problem

Hi,

I`m having a problem regarding exporting a model as OBJ and to appear textured when I import the model into another 3D software ( in my case : CityEngine)

I worked on an hotel, everything worked great, saved the project, exported the model and was nice, but after that I thought that would be nice if I add a 3D text on the hotel`s roof with hotel`s name - so I did.
After that I saved the project again ( my mistake is that I replaced the saved project with this new one) and exported the model.
The obj and mtl files with the jpg.s used as textures in my model appears in the folder created specially for it, but when I imported it again in CityEngine, the model appears without textures....

And now I have a problem with this because I don`t know what caused it ( it`s clear that something went wrong after I added the 3d text because without it the model was perfect ) but I don`t really know what...user added image

Could someone give me a hint with this problem?

Thank you !
Ionutuser added image

# 2 02-12-2014 , 07:36 PM
The thin red line
Did you create UVs for the model?..................dave

# 3 02-12-2014 , 07:48 PM
Yes, I did, mostly planar mapping.
Please remember that before adding the 3D text , the exported model looked great ( same geometry and also textured ).
The problem with textures appears after I added the 3D text
( My workflow for 3D text was -> Create - Text (as Poly) - I selected the faces of my text - extruded them - applied a texure ( a jpg file) on them - I deleted the edged from my 3D text because I moved the extruded text to the right position....that the rest of the workflow is mentioned up...
Maybe here appeared the problem, I`m not sure..

Thanks !
Ionut

# 4 02-12-2014 , 07:51 PM
here`s some prints....

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 02-12-2014 , 09:35 PM
The thin red line
I don't have Cityengine so I am stabbing in the dark, it could be the 3D mesh for the lettering, maya does not normally do a clean mesh when you create letter, Try deleting the 3D lettering then export.................dave