Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 01-01-2006 , 02:22 AM

chest monster video

Here's a frame from a video clip I just finished.
user added image

If you want to watch the entire clip, here is a link;
Chest dino

I'm going to add some more pictures plus some info on how I did it too!

enjoy:attn:

# 2 01-01-2006 , 02:27 AM
LOL thats pretty good. Well, I mean, no offence but the compositions not great, but its just soo... cool! I mean, with you turning around andso does the monster, adn I especially liked the part where you could see your inside. Really origional and you get 4 starts for that! user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 3 01-01-2006 , 02:46 AM
Subscriber
I agree with MattTheMan's comments on the compositing, but having said that, you did some really good tracking. Would love to hear exactly how you went about creating the clip.

I wouldn't mind a pet T-Rex that size user added image

Cheers
Paul

# 4 01-01-2006 , 01:01 PM
Subscriber
lol thats so cool wich drugs do i have to take to have such an idea? user added image

# 5 01-01-2006 , 03:50 PM
Lol! user added image

# 6 01-01-2006 , 05:01 PM
Subscriber
^lol x2

very origional, looks good

First year 3D Grad
# 7 01-01-2006 , 05:12 PM
Thanks guys.

Matt, when you say "composition" do yo mean the way the shot was framed or do you mean the way I put the layers together? I'd like to hear some specific comments that could help me to make my next one better.

I put together an explaination of the workflow that I used to make that thing. Here's the link:

Chest Dino

Thanks a lot to everyone who has taken the time to explain things to me on this board. I've learned a lot since I started coming here. :bow:

Last edited by Velusion; 02-01-2006 at 08:13 AM.
# 8 02-01-2006 , 04:46 PM
i think he means when the monster is coming out of the chest, it doesnt look too real.

I think this looks great man.im impressed!

# 9 02-01-2006 , 04:55 PM
Yeah, by coposition, I mean how realistic it is. It doesnt look so realistic... no offence. First of all, the dino casts 0 shadows on you. And then you odnt cast any shadows on the dino either. But the tracking, like when you move the dino moves too, is basic but excellently done. user added image :bandit: user added image

# 10 02-01-2006 , 11:38 PM
I agree with you.

I turned up the shadow map on the chest so you can see that the rex is casting a shadow. It was there in the original comp but I turned it way down so that the low poly chest geometry would not become apparent. Anyway, The darker shadows do add something to the comp and the low poly shadow catching geometry isn't as bad as I thought. Somebody on another board pointed out that the blackness inside the chest cavity was darker than any other part of the comp and he was right so I adjusted that too. I reloaded the video clip under the same file name....

I always say that your harshest critics are those who actually know what you're doing. You can't put anything past them. If you can satisfy some of them then the general public should be happy too.

By the way, is it just my opinion or do other people agree that WETA's work on King Kong blows ILM out of the water?

# 11 04-01-2006 , 01:21 AM
I adjusted the composition so, hopefully, it now looks a little bit better than before. The new file is under the same link as posted originally at the top of this thread.