Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 09-04-2007 , 10:46 PM

Looking for Ideas

Hi guys just wanted to get some ideas of what kind of hard surface objects you would like to see for possible tuts down the road. We have a mech, apache, ship, living room and a car.

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 2 09-04-2007 , 10:54 PM
Lifetime Member
How about a house Kurt since that might be something of use in the design industry?

# 3 09-04-2007 , 11:10 PM
Subscriber
Maybe a futuristic mech with sweet guns!

Do what you like, like what you do.
# 4 09-04-2007 , 11:30 PM
Subscriber
I agree with jsprogg, a house. After I did the haunted house tutorial I thought I'd give modeling my parents house a shot, and I got the basic shape, but when it came to cutting windows and making window ledges and doors I kind of gave up since I couldn't quite get what I was going for

# 5 09-04-2007 , 11:34 PM
Perhaps a kids playground. Not as cool, but with all the different geometry, textures, etc., could be a good instructional for several different modeling & texturing techniques. Some pieces could even be animated later on.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 6 10-04-2007 , 02:43 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Kurt

How about The Space Shuttle or The Saturn V rocket on a gantry, that would be cool!

_Jay

# 7 10-04-2007 , 02:47 AM
Buildings ? I really wanna see a tut. about any type of building user added image

# 8 10-04-2007 , 06:56 AM
hmm, maybe some kind of space-probe design or a low-poly sci-fi environment.:attn:

-Andy

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 9 10-04-2007 , 07:28 AM
At first I was against the house thing because there already existed a haunted house tutorial. But after Rhetoric Camel's comment, I prefer the house idea.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 10 10-04-2007 , 08:02 AM

Originally posted by jsprogg
How about a house Kurt since that might be something of use in the design industry?

Man jsprogg you took the words out of my mouth. I have been modeling a PR Victorian style house, and have at several times wished that SM had a tut on how to model realistic exteriors.

BTW Thanks for asking everyone Kurt. user added image

RAM disk is not an installation procedure.
# 11 10-04-2007 , 08:18 AM
Subscriber
i like the realistic exterior idea as well.

Toyota Supra WIP

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.
# 12 10-04-2007 , 10:59 AM
Subscriber
How about a Cyborg style of character. Half flesh the other part Machine with tubes, or like a Terminator all beat up.

# 13 10-04-2007 , 12:42 PM
Subscriber
digital tutors recently released an exteriors and interiors modeling training disks. maybe thats what people are interested in learning nowaday.

# 14 10-04-2007 , 08:00 PM
Subscriber
another thing I would like to see involved with this is how to render it in mental ray

# 15 10-04-2007 , 09:23 PM
I have to agree with others and say "architecture," be it a space shuttle on a gantry (Jay), a building (jsprogg) or a specific room (living room; Kurt).

I feel that the site has plenty in regards to organic models (low poly basic character, hippo, oliphant, exotic julgle-esque frog) and vehicles (apache, ferrari), and that it would be good to balance it out a bit more and add something architecture-wise (currently only the haunted house).

(I may be wrong; if there is more that I do not know about, feel free to correct me user added image )