Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 02-06-2008 , 05:51 AM

mental ray not updating.

hi - i'm having an issue where mental ray doesn't seem to be updating my targa textures files. when i hit reload they update in the attribute editor and on the model, but when i render, mental ray just renders the last texture.

i'm getting the error:

// Warning: (Mayatomr.Shader) : mentalrayTexture1: referenced writable texture file "C:/temp/sssMarleyTest" already exists, overwrite //
// Error: (Mayatomr.Output) : file error: C:/temp/sssMarleyTest //
// Error: (Mayatomr.Output) : file error: C:/Documents and Settings/arran/My Documents/maya/projects/marley/sourceimages/NEWHeadHandsCOLOR.tga //
// Error: (Mayatomr.Output) : file error: C:/Documents and Settings/arran/My Documents/maya/projects/marley/sourceimages/NEWHeadHandsBUMP.tga //

but the maps are all there.

help!

# 2 02-06-2008 , 09:47 PM
Subscriber
how weird, could you just get rid of the old texture, make a new texture with the right targa image and apply that to the model?

Or is this more of a question out of curiosity, as it has me stumped lol.

Chris

# 3 02-06-2008 , 11:12 PM
Previous suggestion sounds like a possibility - delete and recreate the file node.

It's a pain, but similar happens to me when I use uv sets - I allocate them all in the uv linking window, looks fine in the viewport, but renders wrong in MR. I then have to delete the uv chooser in the hypershade, and re-link in the uv link window to create a new one.

good luck

gubar

# 4 03-06-2008 , 01:19 PM
hey - thank guys - sorry for late reply - i don't seem to be getting any email notifications.

yeah - it is weird - i ended up creating a new project, importing the model into there and then just moved the textures over and reassigned them. that seems to work. i don't think it's a problem with mental ray.

thanks for the suggestions. user added image