Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 27-08-2008 , 03:50 AM

Old Friend

"Gallery Submission" or "Good Enough for the Gallery"

Inspired in the lord of the rings universe!
My well know Nature Witch character.. and my new character! This Wise Tree full of knowledge.. He gives advise to Nature and is trying to make her a excelent Witch.. but you know, nature is young and reckless some times.. but she has so much power in her and thats why her life will always be in danger.. as the minions of the dark lord are trying to vanish all life forms in the world.. soon she will have to leave his home behind and face the greatest battle of her time. user added image

Tree Model In maya, then sculped in zbrush, then exported the displacement map and cavity maps back to maya, and render wirh Mental Ray Approximation Editor.
Textures as always in Photoshop after taking the uv's out in maya
Nature Character Model In Maya, and texture in Photoshop as you already know by now.

Final Composition In After Effects, and Photoshop.

The background Image is a STOCK PHOTO from a digital artist that called her self nightfate user added image https://night-fate.deviantart.com/

raul arosemena
https://raularosemena.deviantart.com/
raularosemena@hotmail.com

"Gallery Submission" or "Good Enough for the Gallery"

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by kazama; 27-08-2008 at 03:56 AM.
# 2 27-08-2008 , 03:53 AM

B_W

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by kazama; 27-08-2008 at 03:56 AM.
# 3 28-08-2008 , 12:31 AM
Subscriber
Nice work, although the background looks a little too blurry and in the colour version in particular it doesn't look like the characters are in the woods, I think a bit more colour correction and maybe a little work on shadows could make this image really nice.

Chris

# 4 28-08-2008 , 12:44 AM
Thanks for the coment dude..
I think the DOF maybe is too much, but for other people maybe will be fine, I think that is a matter of who looks the picture. LOL

And thanks again.

raul arosemena

# 5 29-08-2008 , 07:39 AM
Some pointers:

The DOF looks totally fake. It's not just to apply a blur filter in photoshop.

The tree needs work. It doesn't even look like displacements are used, and the texture is stretched.

# 6 29-08-2008 , 08:48 AM
Subscriber
wow, this looks really cool

i do have to agree with the others on the DOF and with DJ on the texture stretching. it looks more like skin than bark
it looks like the dark line closest to us on his mouth hasn't been displaced

the black and white looks awesome user added image

oh btw, i think the "Good enoguh for the gallery" should be in the thread's title perhaps...

just a thouht user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 7 30-08-2008 , 03:40 AM
AFAIK the gallery hasn't been working for a couple of years...