Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 29-08-2003 , 04:36 AM
Location: lost... and I'm NOT asking directions!! (psst... could you tell me where I am?)

re-entry?

Okay, how do I do a reentry (sp?) effect? You know, like when a space shuttle is entering the atmosphere? I also want the effect to fade away when the craft reaches a lower altitude.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Me and THIS army!
# 2 29-08-2003 , 05:44 AM
Well, you might wanna try a combo of the following:

- Geometry wrapped around your entry vehicle mapped with an animated map of flames with greater transparency towards the top, aiming upwards (towards opposite entry vector direction) with keyed and re-mappedRGB values that go from blue to white, to blue again, then yellow, to arange, then reveal the flame map original colors, to a fade.

- all the while, have some sparks and small subtle "plasma" debris/pieces shooting off in the flame direction.

- What TRULY sells re-entry shots is WELL TIMED use of camera shake. That, along with a little full-scene glow, and depth of field blur.
So use that to your advantage for added realismuser added image

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 29-08-2003 , 08:38 AM
lol all the cg pros speack the same...
My maya proffessor used to say: "motion blur is your friend", and the less time the effect has to be in screen the cooler it will be and the better it will stand

so: Trogdoooorrrrr! user added image

# 4 29-08-2003 , 03:51 PM
Location: lost... and I'm NOT asking directions!! (psst... could you tell me where I am?)
Hey ragecgi, thanks for your advice. I'm quite a newbie, so I have one additional question for you. How would I have greater transparency at the top?

The rest of that I think I can handle though, thanks for your help.

[edit]did you mean adding the transparency on the map itself? such as adding it in photoshop?

Me and THIS army!

Last edited by 1001 Jedi Nights; 29-08-2003 at 03:53 PM.
# 5 29-08-2003 , 10:27 PM
Funny, I'm doing a cartoon-ish reentry as we speak.

In the transparency channel, I used the Blend Utility to Blend a stretched out noise pattern that was animated in the Offset value of the place2Dtexture node so it looks streaky, with a simple ramp so it's more transparent on one end than the other. I'll have something to post and show tonight.

# 6 30-08-2003 , 05:11 AM
Just as Dann saiduser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 7 30-08-2003 , 06:01 AM
OK, here it is. It's about 2MB so be patient.

Now that I see it rendered and composited, it needs a little work, but you get the idea. The Re-entry effect shows up on both space ships, and some of the meteoroids.

Take a look

and because I'm such a nice guy, here is my shader. Notice how it changes color over time as it would go through the atmosphere.

Attached Files
File Type: ma reentry.ma (69.2 KB, 208 views)
# 8 30-08-2003 , 10:27 PM
oops, posted the wrong file version. I also switched from a Blend Utility to a Layered Texture

Attached Files
File Type: ma reentry.ma (70.4 KB, 236 views)

Last edited by Dann; 30-08-2003 at 11:09 PM.
# 9 30-08-2003 , 11:40 PM
Hey, cool Dann! That is exactly what I needed to get myself on the right track.

If you don't mind, I'm going to base my shader on what I've observed on yours user added image

Me and THIS army!
# 10 31-08-2003 , 02:23 AM
NOT BAD!

I had to play it again to look for the effect, but it looks like you executed it flawlesslyuser added image

And since the reentry is not your main focus, there seems to be no need for dramatic plasma particles, and intense glow effects either.

Great job!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com