Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 02-09-2005 , 12:01 PM

this one is about modeling...

Hey guys, I have a problem which I can’t solve. I will tell you my problem in a little more detail.
When modeling a character, I make my models in polygons. I take a poly cube, select the faces on the right half of the cube, and delete them; cutting the polygon in half, vertically. Then, I use polygon smooth proxy with “mirror behavior” at full.
When the modeling is done, I duplicate the inside HiRes model, unparent it from the Hierarchy. Then I do “Polygons>Unmirror Smooth Proxy” on the LowRes one.
So, that now, I have a HiRes model, which I can Smooth Skin Bind and also a LowRes one, which I can cut and parent to the joints, so that it can be used for quick animation.
Ok, so I did all this. My LowRes model had a lot duplicate vertices where the two halves met. I had to select all the vertices in the center line, and then do PolyMergeVert on them. Which is fine. I thought my HiRes model will have the same problem and I’ll have to merge vertices over there too, but surprisingly, it was quite intact. No unnecessary vertices. Of course it was a very good thing. If I had to merge vertices on my HiRes, it would have taken a hell lot of time. But, still I wonder if anyone can tell me why Maya was so kind to me.
Anyway, here is the real problem. Now, after doing all this, I need to add more detail to my HiRes model. Now, I can modify the vertices in it, and there is no problem. But, as soon as I try to use SplitPolygon too, it gives me and error, and gives this warning:

// Warning: Select an object that allows topology modification. //

So, why does maya not allow me topology modification on my HiRes? I checked the HyperShade for incoming connections, but it has none. I also deleted the history. Why does it give me a problem then? I can’t figure it out. Can someone suggest something?

Ps. I know it’s a long one, hope you didn’t fall asleep half way ;-)

# 2 03-09-2005 , 05:05 AM
Subscriber
Wish I knew for sure was causing this but I don't. However, whenever I have strange duplicates meshing I usually check Hypergraph to track down and delete the offending node(s). Have you tried that yet?

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 3 03-09-2005 , 07:44 AM
Hey, mhcannon;
well, i did check the hyperGraph for incoming connections, but there are none. is there any other way of checking?
also, what i did duplicating and unparenting... is that an ok way of doing it? how do you usually model?

ps. i thought it would be you who'll reply... you have a knack for details.. :-))

# 4 05-09-2005 , 06:05 PM
Subscriber
Seems to me like you're making things a bit complicated when mirroring...

The way I do it (and probably anyone else who's
ever bought one of Kurt's [GREAT] tutorials user added image ) is I select my smooth proxy (or whatever), Duplicate it with Instance option turned on, and put in the scale of -1 in the axis i want it to be mirrored over... Just just have to make sure that the object's pivot is at the edge where you want to merge.

When the model is complete, just delete the history on the instance, combine the two parts, and merge the vertices down the middle...

Hope this makes sense user added image

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 5 07-09-2005 , 08:31 AM
hey, maybe you are right man. that's exactly what i used to do before i discovered "unmirror smooth proxy". maybe it does screw up the model and i should have stuck to the old method...
i'll keep it in mind the next time i model. this time though, its ok. i don't really need to add more detail if i can't.