Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 46 13-08-2011 , 06:20 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Started with some detailing today and for the fans i have slapped the face texture on agan user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 47 14-08-2011 , 02:44 PM
Small update
Have done some tweaking and detailing

Attached Thumbnails
# 48 15-08-2011 , 07:50 AM
Subscriber
Great Job Mastone!

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 49 15-08-2011 , 12:28 PM
Subscriber
yeah. Nice. I like the wrinkles of the material around his neck. And the alpha work's nice and subtle on his main top. Dont know if you're consciously keeping the wrinkles subtle too, to get a safer map transfer, maybe they could be exaggerated a little in places? get some darker shadows in there?

# 50 15-08-2011 , 01:20 PM
# 51 19-08-2011 , 08:47 PM
Got tired of sculpting, but also wanted to have a bit of a preview( to be sure textures work etc) and slapped a hairsystem on it .
And I have to say I kinda like it, still needs a lot of work to be really good, but not to shabby I would say user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 52 19-08-2011 , 09:16 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Can I ask, why is the face texture so grey and muddy looking?

Sorry not really a positive question but its just really standing out mate.

Jay

# 53 19-08-2011 , 09:37 PM
No worries... user added image

Regarding the grey stuff it's not in the individual textures, so my guess is that it's a lightmap which didn't update( renderman) or it could be underlying geometry which I used for the hair base geometry.
I will have a look tomorrow( I am done for today user added image )

# 54 20-08-2011 , 08:42 PM
Instead of the couple of hours I wanted to devote to the grey spots problem I ended up spending 16+ hours to figure it out ..........grrr.
This render took 28 minutes to do ..again grrrr
It's definitely not the endresult, but the overall look and feel is very nice ( I think), oh and if anyone is using renderman around here...be very very hesitant to set the shadingrate to .1 ( If you know Renderman you"ll get what I mean)

Attached Thumbnails
# 55 23-08-2011 , 12:26 AM
Did a testrender again....tweaked the eyes a bit in PS

Attached Thumbnails
# 56 23-08-2011 , 03:27 AM
Lifetime Member
Looks the bloody biz mate....very life like!

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 57 23-08-2011 , 11:29 AM

Looks the bloody biz mate....very life like!

You think so?
It's not that I don't appreciate the kind words, but I myself still think it looks clunky( somewhere between cartoony and real), there is defintely a likeness, but it doesn't look like skin and the displacement is not really nice either, the sculpt itself looks fine in Zbrush ( although that is sometimes hard to see ) so my guess is that it is in the transition to Maya ( and subsequently Renderman).

Ah well live and learn I suppose user added image

# 58 23-08-2011 , 11:56 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
With regard to your comment of the transition between Maya and Zbrush - I think thats very very valid with this type of work. Its actually the reason I really opt for pushing the mesh as far as I can in Maya without relying on the sculpting as its not a dead cert once you start mucking around with the displacements. I dont think Ive ever read a post where someone has applied a dis map and been trully happy with the out come.

I think the nose is too broad in its width all the way down, it needs the variation to the tip (look at your references). I think thats what is giving the cartoony feel. The lids top and bottom need some attention lowering and raising. And perhaps a little adjustment to the brow muscle it needs a bit more meat and lowering a tad too.

another 10 cents.....

J

# 59 23-08-2011 , 12:15 PM
Lifetime Member
mate Im a forever noob...so I wont comment on what I know not. I did think the 'bridge' of the nose was a tad wide. The skin looks a little dark in areas maybe...kind talced or powder puffed (dont know how to say it in your terms). No shit poo though its pretty good to me..maybe a slightly brighter background..I know the HP movies are always dark etc but I think that may make a big difference...and I dont mean patel yellow either LOL Im not that much of a noob...

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 60 23-08-2011 , 12:25 PM
Thanks Jay, I will put the 10 cents in the piggy bank ( I shall be a miljonaire soon user added image )

I agree about pushing meshes in Maya, but I am really trying to train my eye a bit and in Zbrush it's quicker than in Maya ( more intuitive), but also to see what Renderman can do with regards to displacement

I do look at reference by the way, it's just that he looks different in every other picture (( I tend to match up the angle in zbruh on any given picture and try to visually match up the model, which works reasonably well)
I will have another go in Zbrush and try to get the head the way I want it , I am feeling that it's getting better with each back and forth user added image

Thanks again