Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 19-08-2008 , 03:49 AM

Match-move data move geometry (not camera)

Hello. I hope this hasn't been asked already, and I also hope it's not too advanced for the newbie forum. I'm still a newbie at least.

I'd like to know if there is a way to make match move data (from Maya Live, Boujou, etc) move the geometry, rather than the default method which is to have the camera move around the geometry.

I want to do this so I can track a moving object in a video file, and then attach dynamic objects to it (like hair, particles or ncloth) and have them be affected by the movement. And they won't be affected by the movement if it's just the camera moving around the dynamic objects.

Thanks!

# 2 19-08-2008 , 06:33 AM
Yes.

In your MM software, after your solve is created, add what your chosen software calls a "Feature Point".
Some software such as PFTrack/Boujou/3D Equalizer call it names like "Feature Point" "Feature Track", etc.

This is basically a point in 3D space matching your chosen feature(s) on your footage that when brought into Maya, is converted into a Locator matching your original footage in 3D space.

Then, simply parent your hair or objects to that locator, and it will follow along with ituser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 20-08-2008 , 12:49 AM
Thanks! I know what to look for now.

But do you know if Maya Live has the "Feature Point" option? I looked around in the interface and didn't see it.

Either way, thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. user added image

# 4 20-08-2008 , 06:40 AM
No, I do not believe it has that feature natively, but maybe you can include a locator in the solve to aid in getting close to what you may need.

Maya Live is a SEVERELY outdated architecture for 3d tracking sadly.
I still don't know why it is even included in the app anymore.

As far as I am aware, the shops that used it in the past no longer even bother with it or even turn it on.

If you need the names/links to some highly reccomended apps that are cheap, and even free, lemme knowuser added image

EDIT:
https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=30741

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 5 25-08-2008 , 02:38 PM
Meh. I guess I can't have everything. Maya Live is my first foray into match moving though so I don't really know what's what. But I love the technology so I would appreciate any tips on software, techniques, learning resources or otherwise!

Boujou is the software that I keep hearing about, and I'd like to try it, but the price holds me back like it does us all. However, I'm still a student (not in the 3D field sadly) so I hold out some hope of running across a good academic discount price for it somewhere.

# 6 25-08-2008 , 03:17 PM

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 7 28-08-2008 , 02:20 AM
Wow. A lot of stuff to look into. Thanks!

# 8 28-08-2008 , 02:58 AM
No probuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com