Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 46 12-04-2011 , 09:53 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Give it until tomorrow, then phone them. It will show interest on your part

cheers
Jay

# 47 12-04-2011 , 11:26 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
And if that doesn't yield results strap a bomb around your waste and demand to speak to the manager, it shows determination............LOL.
Your break will come, maybe not this job but then it will be another facility ( maybe even at a junior position instead of a runner user added image ).

# 48 12-04-2011 , 11:35 AM
Subscriber
Runner is below junior

But cheers guys - the waiting is just killing me - so the bomb idea might just have to be done...

# 49 12-04-2011 , 02:02 PM
The reason they havn't called you back yet is probably because they realize how incredibly talented you are and they are rearranging their staff to fit you into a senior position user added image. Seriously though, I do agree that you should give them a follow up call pretty soon. Like Jay said, it will at least show interest on your part.

Wishing you the best!

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 50 13-04-2011 , 09:51 PM
Subscriber
Well phoned and was told she was away, so I sent a email. But 12 hoirs later still no reply. Stressed me alittle out so having a break 4 a few days. Hoping 2 hear something in the mean time

# 51 13-04-2011 , 10:17 PM
The thin red line
Its not the end of the world if this does not happen this time. You have a gift start using it, think out side the box that you have placed your self in. Have you tried free lance work I think you are good anoth to make it on your own. You might be able to get a govenment grant to do that...........dave

# 52 17-04-2011 , 08:42 AM
Subscriber
Hey mate, any luck in getting the job?

# 53 20-04-2011 , 05:53 PM
Subscriber
Just found out today - almost 2 weeks late that I did not get the role. Worst still both the emails I sent to them asking if I had the job I asked for feedback why not but totally fobbed off.

Think its time to give up my dream of ever working again in 3D, if i cant even get a job as a runner there is little point applying for any thing else.

# 54 20-04-2011 , 06:19 PM
EduSciVis-er
Hey mate, don't get too discouraged. Being turned down this time doesn't mean every time will be the same. Take it as a learning opportunity (how to do interviews, how studios operate). I don't know if it's any encouragement, but look at Mike's career story thread. 1000 emails and a single interview... I know you work really hard. Don't give up!

# 55 20-04-2011 , 06:21 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Hi Tweety

that's a shame, but not the end of the world.
There could be a miljon reasons why you didn't get the job so don't beat yourself up over it, there were probably dozens of people applying for that particular job.
So get something to drink tonight together with the misses and just don't think about it for a week orso.
Then get your british arse back in the saddle user added image

# 56 20-04-2011 , 07:23 PM
SM Tea Boy
Don't take it to hard like stwert said read mikes story, he was turned down hundreds of times and he ended up writing three bookes about Maya so...

Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 57 20-04-2011 , 08:02 PM
Don't get down about this, they must have hundreds of applicants for very few roles.
Lots of the time it can be down to frustrating things like they might be doing interviews as a courtesy as they already have someone in mind for the role, they legally have to advertise and interview for any position.

Can you put your showreel online if you haven't already, would love to see what you have. Getting the first job isn't about luck but it is about serendipity. Everything must fall into place.

Don't get disheartend, I had to go through a few phone books and contacts for a long time to get my job, it takes determination and perseverance. If you want to chat about options and what you can do to improve your chances give me a private messsage!

FX supervisor - double negative
# 58 20-04-2011 , 09:47 PM
Super Moderator
That sucks :s. Easier said than done but you gotta keep your chin up and keep trying.

- Genny
# 59 20-04-2011 , 10:06 PM
Subscriber
Its hard not to take it so hard as I think that 4 years is long enough and after uni that`s almost 10 years trying to do the thing I love - I really thought going for a runner role would be the way to go but if I`m not good enough for that what am I good for.

The least they could have done is gotten back to me when they said they would and gave me some feedback. After all the afford I made to get an interview and to get there the least they could do - smug b£$%^ - takes 5 min to right some feedback.

I have a 2.1 degree in 3d, a years and a bit experience as lead character modeler and made a music video that I got on MTV and no one will touch me. I work so hard it made me ill - plz someone tell me what these people want - for me to bleed on their door step. There no junior roles anywhere and runner roles are gold dust as well. How is anyone supposed to get started - its all about butt kissing people in the industry but I know no one. I can model anything, so how come no one will take a chance huh. The only other job I have ever had was retail - which is in its own shit storm with stores shutting left right and center. So for me right now there is nothing.

Sorry about the rant but I`m really pissed off with the crap email I got - its insulting and to end with "good luck with the job hunter" makes my blood boil. The UK sucks balls - no jobs and then the people who bust their ass to try and get work keep getting shot down. Worse still in 6 weeks I can`t even get Job Seekers because my girl friends earns too much money apparently - yet if she lost her job the rent and concel tax would be paid for.

But once again thx for all the kind words, but I really feel like just chucking it all in, its not worth the constant No`s.

LauriePriest here is my showreel

YouTube - Neil Roberts Showreel March 2011

# 60 20-04-2011 , 10:13 PM
Subscriber
it sucks (not the show reel...)
you could give up... but you know.... just because you can doesn't mean you should

besides, better to give up when you've found a better alternative, not just because you got shot down

keep going until you've run out of cake

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D