Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 11-12-2010 , 04:01 PM

Creating Hay

Hi,
I'm trying to texture the roof of a shed. I have used a texture that is very near, in appearance to that of hay. I wanted a lot more of bulk, for the hay (I have applied the texture to a plane, the vertices shifted around to give uneven surfaces.) so I applied a bump with the intention of getting a good depth, but sadly the result was pathetic compared to the texture without a bump.

One more option I could figure out was to create straws and place them over the roof but that would make the file way too heavy.

Is there a method by which I might be able to achieve nice bulky-hay using dynamics?

Help please.

# 2 11-12-2010 , 04:04 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Show the results, it may spark off a few ideas to help you

cheers
Jay

# 3 11-12-2010 , 04:20 PM
The Nurb Herd
you might be able to achieve what you are after using paint effects.

# 4 11-12-2010 , 04:23 PM
I have taken a render which I haven't gamma corrected and I have also included the texture I used. I'm trying to get a screen shot, I will upload it as soon as I have figured out how to.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
# 5 11-12-2010 , 05:31 PM

Reference Image

Here's the reference I'm using.

Attached Images
# 6 11-12-2010 , 05:46 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Ah thats pretty straight forward.

I would model the roof as its shaped here, its a fairly easy shape to block out when you break it down. the surface itself is fairly flat so by adding a little bit of geo to it, it will help uneven the surface. A good texture will help you for sure, as Dom mentioned you could use PFX, but paint the texture dont use the actual strokes as that will kill the scene and weigh it right down.For the edges/sides of the roof, use a different texture - end of straw, then aplly a good bump map for effect. For actual strands of straws sticking out, just place some random straw shaped geo, you dont have to go mad with it but use enough to sell it.

I hope that helps - keep it simple, most of the time it works best that way

cheers
Jay

# 7 11-12-2010 , 05:50 PM
Thank you.