Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 08-03-2003 , 08:22 PM
Subscriber

Driving me Crazy! Please Help!

Okay i am trying to model my first head using Maya and Sub-D, and i am running into some very aggravating problems right in the beginning.

let me try to explain.

I begin with a poly cube with 6 sides that i convert to a sub-d cube.

Then i extrude the top face 3 times
user added image
user added image

So far so good.

Then i take the 4 side faces that develop and extrude them to pull out the depth of the head. What i get is 4 cylindrical protrusions.

user added image

To make the protrusions into one solid piece i delete the inbetween faces selected in the following picture

user added image

The result is as follows:

user added image
user added image

My question is simply does anyone have any idea how i can get rid of the curved lines that i have highlited in red in the above picture? I realize these are the lines that were previously
de-linetating the cylindrical protrusions but now they are a complete pain in the ass. I would like the lines to go vertically and horizontally straight around the figure. As it is shown above this provides weird effects in the figures finally geometry because it causes weird edges. Does anyone have any idea how i can get around this problem?

Any help at all is greatly appreciated...This is really pissing me off =)

# 2 08-03-2003 , 08:44 PM
The Maya Mountain
When you extrude, make sure "Keep Faces Together" is turned on. You can find it in your extrude channel options and under Polygons > Tool Options > Keep Faces Together.

# 3 08-03-2003 , 08:44 PM
Looks like its just a vertice problem.... Make sure all your vertices are merged and you have no extra faces.... Also under polygons go to tool options and click on keep faces together.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 4 08-03-2003 , 08:45 PM
Subscriber
Dude (mtmckinley) you are a genius. Thank you so much!!!

# 5 08-03-2003 , 08:50 PM
Subscriber
One other quick question.

Do the lines on the sub-d surface have to be manifold? If i have a "polygon" with 6 edges showing on the sub-d surface is that going to matter?