Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 01-09-2003 , 06:25 PM
Subscriber

Female Subd Character

Guess it's time for me to get it on with this character modelling thingie I've heard so much about. user added image
Koncept from https://www.onnovanbraam.com/, the model isn't really proportional to any living woman at all. But I guess it could be cool with a superhero character style model sortof. ehm.

Attached Thumbnails

Stefan Doverud
<a href="https://www.doverud.com/">www.doverud.com</a>
# 2 01-09-2003 , 06:29 PM
Subscriber
Oh. Sorry for the big concept image (also sorry for misspelling concept). Forgot to scale it down.
Subd's are something totally new to me, c&c much appreciated.
This is how far I've got so far.

Attached Thumbnails

Stefan Doverud
# 3 02-09-2003 , 12:28 AM
Nice! The thighs seem a bit wide in the front shot, but well proportioned in the side view.
Also the shoulders look very square in the front view.

You are right, NO living woman has those proportions... user added image

Sy
# 4 02-09-2003 , 05:26 PM
heyyy! heh heh... I used that same image for a model once. user added image

If you're looking to get real proportions, you wont get them using that diagram. It's a typically 'comic' style. But it will give you good proactice to making the form. Gonna keep watching this thread to see the updates.

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu

Last edited by dave_baer; 02-09-2003 at 05:28 PM.
# 5 02-09-2003 , 07:02 PM
Subscriber
Found the Polygon Proxy Mode and I'm in love with subds. user added image
Started on the head and added some detail all over the model. Any hints on how to best model the face; nose, mouth, ear and such from the start I have?
Should I use the split poly tool in poly proxy mode and extrude or try to refine the mesh in subds?
c&c as always very appreciated.

- S

Attached Thumbnails

Stefan Doverud
# 6 02-09-2003 , 07:39 PM
gOOD STart. I usually try to do all of my editing in Poly mode. I often switch back and forth from Poly to Sub D and back. Just make sure when you convert it you do it by verticies and at a level of 0. GL
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 7 02-09-2003 , 08:26 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by brian_ellebracht
Just make sure when you convert it you do it by verticies and at a level of 0. GL
Brian

I'm not sure I get it. Do I want to convert the subd object to polys or the poly control proxy?
If I convert the subd-obj to polys and then back to subd all hell brakes lose. user added image

Thanks for the feedback btw.

- S

Stefan Doverud
# 8 02-09-2003 , 09:08 PM
I do things differntly then most people... Um.. I usually take some steps that may cause alot of extra time, but because I am so used to it, it saves me time. Thats kind of confusing. But what I do... I make my stuff in Polys... Everyonce in awhile I will convert to Subd's to take alook at what it is going to look like when I am done... then I convert back to polygons (not poly control proxy) and make whatever adjustments I need to. I like to keep as few polys as possible before the ending result, because it keeps unwanted "waves" and indentions out of your model. When I convert from Sub D's to Poly, I covert by Verticies and you have to make sure that the level is set to zero, or else you are going to get a really heavy mesh. Not what you want. when you convert back to Poly this way, then it is like you never converted to Subd's in the first place, so when you are ready, you can go back and convert it to Sub d's without any problems... I don't like to use the poly control proxy option, because for me it takes to much time, and whe I try to edit stuff, it slows down my computer. But that is my personal preference. Well.. Good luck, if you have anymore questions for me please feel free to ask. Thanks,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 9 02-09-2003 , 11:51 PM
Brian that's a very good suggestion you made there. I always dread going from subdivs to polys because the mesh becomes huge and heavy. I will most definately try the settings you mentioned. I also would like to go back and forth between the 2 methods, because there are some things you can only do with regular polys and some things you need subdivs. What you suggest is going to make my life a lot easier.

Sy