Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 24-04-2012 , 03:45 AM

Insert edge loop gets sticky

This is a problem I thought I understood how to cure, but it seems I've forgotten. It's when the Insert Edge Loop tool does not work interactively, and is frozen in place at the first point you put the cursor, if you slide your mouse the inserted edge loop remains in place until you release your mouse and the edge loop then jumps to the last point you had your cursor.

I just can't remember how to fix this problem.

# 2 24-04-2012 , 04:12 AM
Is the object part of a group or combined? I used to have a problem where the inserted loop would appear at some location that was offset. In that case deleting history and freezing transforms would correct the bug (this btw is another gift of the QT api).

The next thing to try is save your scene, close and reopen maya and see if it works properly. I have had to start doing this recently as maya will stop refreshing my screen, or redrawing the channel box or outliner window.

You can also get a bug where you insert a loop abd forget to reset the tool settings and then undo the last insert and on the subsequent attempt to insert a loop it just drops a vert but does not draw the loop. For this you have to completely drop the tool, then reselect the object, reopen the tool and it will then insert a loop (providing you did not create a floating vert).

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 24-04-2012 , 05:28 AM
I don't know if any of those are quite what I'm experiencing, it's inconsistent and works sometimes and then not others. I did try deleting history but without any effect.

# 4 24-04-2012 , 05:48 AM
I don't know what to tell you I am pretty disgusted with the stability of maya at the moment

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675