Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 21-10-2011 , 08:05 AM
Acid44

Problems with porting from Maya to Max

I have to port my work over from Maya 2012 to Max 2010 before handing it in to be checked over by the boss, and I'm having a ton of troubles with normals. Max seems to be randomly hardening edges, flipping vertex normals, things like that. I need to get this fixed so I can move on to the next project.

Right now my process is model it all, clean up the scene, name everything by the guidelines I have to follow, clean up the scene (freeze trandsforms, delete history, clean outliner, etc.), then export as FBX and import to Max. Should I be using a different export/import format or something? Anyone had these problems before?

# 2 21-10-2011 , 10:54 AM
Senior Software Developer
A few years ago I was exporting game objects from maya to some weird freebie modellling software and ended up using objs.

I am sure the newer Max version will support the fbx format, but if not I would do a 2nd export to obj just incase

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 21-10-2011 , 11:39 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Acid:

FBX is a terrible format, although used a fair bit. Try DXF format or get hold of Polytrans, that will cure it no problem

Also check your face normals and put everything you can to single sided. If its still giving you these probs, you really are better off doing OBJs. Export the objects separately then put them back together in Max. Then just reset the edge normals and so on.

also try a different FBX exporter...https://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112

hope this helps

Jay

# 4 21-10-2011 , 11:51 AM
Acid44
I thought OBJ was bad for porting? Always thought it messed up the normals and such in the same way. Guess I'll try that though when I can and get back to you

Never had this problem with FBX before though, it's always been flawless. I think it's because I have a lot of edited normals this time, whereas before I left the normals as Maya made them.

# 5 21-10-2011 , 11:54 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Well Ive never had an OBJ prob -ever

J

# 6 21-10-2011 , 12:12 PM
Acid44
I had problems with OBJ and Maya 7 + whatever version of Max I had back then, forget what the problem was, but that's what led me to swear by FBX

EDIT: I remember the issue now, keeps ripping apart my models (See attachment, can't show whole thing cause of NDA, but the interior is basically ripped to shreds) Though back then I had no idea about the options for importing/exporting, so I'll try to figure those out and then edit this or post again on whether I figure it out or not.

Took me a few tries of messing around before finding the Maya setting in Max's OBJ dialogue. I'm a tool sometimes user added image

Got it imported fine now, thanks a lot guys.

But one more thing, if I may. Would you happen to know where I could find a tutorial for working with normal angles? I've been trying to get it right for weeks, and have a slight hold of it, but there are some areas that I just can't get right.

Attached Images

Last edited by Acid44; 21-10-2011 at 12:26 PM.