Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 19-07-2008 , 02:29 AM

Saw Batman? Thoughts? (caution, spoilers possible)

(caution, spoilers possible in this thread)

So I saw it today and I must say that having to stick to a PG-13 rating literally KILLED any chance of it being entertaining for me.

I expected the "darker" batman story we were promised, and instead got something closer to Sisterhood of the Traveling Superheros.
Not that it was flaky, but more so that it was too much character development, and not enough follow through.
A character would be embellished, but not take that extra step.

The exception obviously was the joker.
Heath was excellent. Not Oscar material, but decent enough.

And to kill-off the female lead? cmon, totally unnecessary.

Now, as far as the vfx was concerned, TOTALLY AWESOME!

Gorgeous color, mattes and extensions were seamless.

Framestore and many others did an excellent job.

Ok, your thoughts?

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 2 19-07-2008 , 03:33 AM
They had to do something a bit extreme to show why two face turn into what we all know him as totally into fate and his coin adn having her die was what did it and why he blammed the cops and batman..

I like the fact that they really man the story between batman and joker like it is in the comic they are desened to end up killing each other in the end.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 19-07-2008 , 03:04 PM
You know what, I believe because I never read the comics I never put that relationship together for the motivation for 2-face.

I never thought of that.

Dammit Kurt, lol, now I gotta see it again with that in minduser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 4 19-07-2008 , 04:53 PM
Subscriber
I liked it, but it woulda been TOTALLY better if it was rated R and had alittle horror theme to it, but i still loved the movie it self.

1 thing that ididnt like is that main girl wasnt the same actor.

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 5 19-07-2008 , 09:02 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
yeah but if you marry tom cruise your life wouldnt be yours either would it LOL

# 6 19-07-2008 , 09:06 PM
Jr.Who
Any movie that has a freakin 18-wheeler being flipped over that way is automatically awesome… lol

I didn't really like the ending, but not too many movies get an ending right for me.

# 7 19-07-2008 , 10:02 PM
i saw it last night and i thought it was pretty good - i thought heath ledger totally owned the joker - he was excellent - and i thought christian bale was an great batman. personally i'm glad that there wasn't more horror or gore - i don't really like it, especially if it's sadist - i find that a bit lame.

i thought it was way too preachy though, just like the first one (which i only saw yesterday morning), the ending didn't make much sense to me and i felt that the editing was a bit choppy and there were a few plot holes.

i know they used a lot of elements from the comics, but i'd still really like to see someone make a faithful movie of 'year one' - i think that graphic novel is a lot darker than even the newer batman movies and i think it would a great film.

overall though, i really liked the dark knight - i think they did a pretty good job.

# 8 20-07-2008 , 12:04 PM
Subscriber
I must say, I've seen it twice in theaters already and watched a cam version online.
I can't get enough of the movie.
I believe that this is the best movie released by Hollywood in a long time.
You can't tell me that you could predict half of what was going to happen in that movie and I think that is what stands tall above it. There are some great actors/actresses in that movie doing some great work but I think the contributing factor comes back to the scripts. The Nolan Bros knocked this one out of the park.

There are so many clever things hidden in this movie that unless you really are paying attention, you do miss a lot. Clearly not VITAL things, but very helpful things in the grand scheme.

The ending makes perfect sense to me, you have to pay close attention at the end to understand just what is going on. I can elaborate but that would clearly spoil, so someone is going to have to ask for that spoiler.

I think Heats performance was very good, as rage said I don't think it is worthy of an award, but it was very good. I also thought Eckhart played into the DA/Two Face role very well. The script though helped to solidify things. I mean I found so few holes, things seemed to connect so well.

I loved it. It takes me and sucks me into it for 2 and a half hours, and I kept coming back wanting more. I imagine that is what they intended from it, right?

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 9 20-07-2008 , 12:32 PM
Now thats what I wanted to hear!! I was just over on another site and out of 800 reviews only around 4 were very negative!

I have to wait until this weekend in the UK, as its not here yet

Jay

# 10 20-07-2008 , 08:18 PM
Subscriber
I havn't really watched any of the new movies but for me i think the best peice of film in cinema history is a scene from the origional Batman Movie. For those of you not priveliged enough to see the film i'll describe it for you. I havn't watched it in a while so excuse me for any errors.

In the film Batman and Robin (where did he go????) are chasing the Penguin's invisible submarine. Anyway, Batman needs to get onto the submarine and comes up with a plan. Only in this movie (and possibly Jaws) could this plan result in you have an explosive shark dangling from the 'BatLadder' from the 'BatCopter' as Batman is giving it a few punches before spraying it with the 'BatSharkReppelent' which causes the thing to EXPLODE after falling into the water.

Cinema History was made when that scene was shown!

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 11 20-07-2008 , 08:22 PM
LOL yeah I remember that one, quality crap!! Just awsome!!

Poor old Adam Wests Batman was just too polite, I remember coming home from school when I was eight to watch that religiously, it was just the best thing on tv, then after would don my Batman plastic mask, turn my coat sleeves inside out to make a cape put on my black flared wellies and run out into the street to fight crime against next door neighbours ginger cat!! What a ham!!

I still have my original Batmobile and batboat!

Jay

# 12 20-07-2008 , 09:27 PM
ha ha - i remember that scene someguy! they don't make them like that anymore!

anyone remember the original spiderman movies? - i just remember he had a cold in one of them and so spidey spends the whole film sneezing - what a sub plot! user added image

# 13 21-07-2008 , 04:29 AM

Originally posted by Jay
LOL yeah I remember that one, quality crap!! Just awsome!!

Poor old Adam Wests Batman was just too polite, I remember coming home from school when I was eight to watch that religiously, it was just the best thing on tv, then after would don my Batman plastic mask, turn my coat sleeves inside out to make a cape put on my black flared wellies and run out into the street to fight crime against next door neighbours ginger cat!! What a ham!!

I still have my original Batmobile and batboat!

Jay

Was that recenty Jay?? Just that I think that the original series is on ITV 3 at the moment I think!

LOL

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 14 21-07-2008 , 10:58 AM
Steve

Only last week in fact! LOL

Jay

# 15 23-07-2008 , 02:35 PM
Subscriber
i watched yesterday, and think it was o.k, batman begins was mush better, IMO, the fight scenes were terrible, they should have got the guy who did the fights in the bourne movies to do the ones for the dark knight,

having two bad guys was what killed it for me, it should have been just batman and the jocker to the end, and yes i know ledger died, but thats no excuss, Brandon Lee died while making the crow and they got some one else to take his place and that film turned out to be one of the best films of the year, well for me any way,

the crow had something that the dark knight will never have, a character that fought from the heart, he didn't need fancy cars or a special utility belt, it was just one guy making a mense for the unfortunate events that took place, lee's performence was excellently excecuted, you could sence to sorrow in his voice ,