Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 27-11-2002 , 10:18 AM
Subscriber

Mac Maya PLE on Jaguar

I installed Mac PLE 3.5.1 on my new work Mac running Jaguar and although the program runs, I have seen a few anomalies that are annoying.

1. Although the Explorer window pops up with the welcome if you close it and click the Tutorials button nothing happens... Except you get an error message in the Mel Box.

2. I have noticed that lights render all streaky and as though they were done using only 256 colours. I don't know that this is the norm cos it is the PLE version and the renders are watermarked anyway but it doesn't give a very good idea of what Maya's renderer is like!

Anyone got any clues?

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 2 27-11-2002 , 02:24 PM
Subscriber
not a mac man....user added image

# 3 27-11-2002 , 04:19 PM
SM Alumni
Hey Gazz, you might want to check out the AW site, I believe there is a PLE of Maya 4.5 available now with some changes from user feedback user added image

Darkon

Red bellows of flame have blackened my stones
Convulsing my frame and cracking my bones
Hell's dragons of steel who roar in their chains
Crawl into my caves to suck out my veins.....

-The Mountain P.F.M.
# 4 27-11-2002 , 04:31 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Darkon
Hey Gazz, you might want to check out the AW site, I believe there is a PLE of Maya 4.5 available now with some changes from user feedback user added image

Darkon

negative, the 4.5 PLE is not out yet. supposed to be avvailable soon, though. and the 4.5 version for mac is much better than 3.5 - not only from the features, but stability as well (i heard, have no mac)

# 5 27-11-2002 , 04:46 PM
Subscriber

Gazzamataz
# 6 27-11-2002 , 07:00 PM
Subscriber
Gazzamataz,

Is there much difference between Jaguar and the earlier versions (i.e. 10.1.5) of MacOSX?? Faster, Better?

# 7 28-11-2002 , 09:19 AM
Subscriber
Ian

Well I have only been using it a few days but the graphics seems to be faster and there are some neat little keyboard shortcuts. Maya 3.5.1 seems to run O.K. on it and is probably slightly faster as far as real-time stuff is concerned.

It also allows you to connect to a PC without third party software - great for me since I use both platforms - and has some handy Unix programs to hand in the Terminal like Telnet and Pico.

Cannot say much more than that at the moment, except that I really like OSX and running Maya on it makes me really want to learn and use the program. Maya 4.5 will prove better on the Mac since it allows you to use both processors for rendering - that is when MP Macs will shine.user added image

Opinion: worth getting and easy peasy to upgrade!

Gazzamataz
# 8 01-12-2002 , 06:08 PM
Subscriber
Actually I have found one minor/major problem with Mac Maya 3.5.1 on Jaguar. If you open some dialogue boxes like the preferences or Set Key Driven for instance you will see that the type is truncated - this is bloody annoying!! I have checked on A/W website and they are aware of the problem but there is no fix at the moment.

I don't know whether is Apple or A/Ws fault. The only fix it seems is to upgrade to Maya 4.5 which is some £500?

I hope there is a fix for this because if you spend £1499 on a program you shouldn't have to then spend another £500 to get rid of this irritating problem.

I will investigate further!

Gazzamataz
# 9 01-12-2002 , 08:55 PM
Subscriber
Reg: "lights render all streaky"

Could this be a default shadow mapping per light. Although I dont think there's anything wrong, try raytracing;
Choose raytrace shadows in the lights attribute editor, and turn on raytrace in render globals.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 10 02-12-2002 , 03:42 PM
Subscriber
I have seen Maya 4.5 on the Mac a few times at demos. Never seen it crash yet. Got really great feedback from the Application Engineer showing the product.