Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 05-08-2010 , 02:55 PM

Wolf

Started working on what I hope will be a wolf animation 30 sec clip set in a photo real version of Yellowstone park. I will be setting up the landscape with Vue and trying to finally get good integration with maya.

Here is a wire frame of the wolf although I think I am going to need to change the ears a bit as they need to be smaller + further apart.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 05-08-2010 , 02:57 PM
Here is a test render with the hair set up with Joe alter.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 05-08-2010 , 03:10 PM
The thin red line
That looks good, may be the black nose bit is a little to large. I like the fur..............dave

# 4 05-08-2010 , 04:12 PM
good,waiting for updates

# 5 05-08-2010 , 11:14 PM
The Nurb Herd
pretty low res wolf, any reason why?

# 6 06-08-2010 , 02:01 AM
Subscriber
Model could use some more subdivisions in my opinion and also maybe alter the front legs alittle, seems to be lacking alittle life in my eyes... over all looks good.

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 7 06-08-2010 , 04:45 PM
Subscriber
I like it. I'll be interested to see how you use vue. Do you have xstream, or will you just export the wolf to vue?

# 8 06-08-2010 , 05:31 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Its a good start but I think the head is a little off in its proportions.

Have a look at some reference and line it up in a camera or something, as the eyes look a little high and that nose looks huge as already commented. Overall proportions look good but if you are going for a photoreal version then getting it spot on will be key at this stage as its going to get some real scrutiny.

The minute you say Photoreal, you gotta be sooooo careful

cheers
Jay

# 9 06-08-2010 , 05:37 PM
Cheers for the advice everyone, I like to rig a low res version as I find it a lot easier to rig and then attach a higher res as a wrap deformer.

I will look into the proportions of the head more as I know the ears and nose need work and will pay close attention to other areas.
The landscape will be photoreal but the wolf will be far from it. Just want it to look as believable as possible but know that my skills will not go that far.

Cheers for the comments and will update once I get some time to do some more work.

# 10 06-08-2010 , 05:49 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
hey men how you been, you've been quiet lately anyway i love the fur but the eyes are letting the model down i would love to see the render times

# 11 06-08-2010 , 09:44 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
leonlabyk

never ever put yourself down, especially on my watch!!

Your skills can go that far and further...just observe and take your time, get it right, its not a race. You have the support of your fellow forum members too. As long as the crit is constructive, use it.

I know how hard modeling photoreal dogs are, its probably worse than humans. I finished on the film Marmaduke back in April. I modeled 3 hero dog heads plus around 100 blendshapes for each, rebuilt the cat from the movie and shared a fare bit of the blendshape stuff for other dogs from the film, I did around ten months of full on modelling, it was seriously hard but really good fun. We had more photoreference than you can poke a stick and scans - everything. Stuff like this takes time and for it to look good, you need to utilise that time well. If you do the end result will be even better.

cheers
Jay

# 12 07-08-2010 , 06:55 AM
Jay: Wow sounds killer, I will check it out later today. Was gonna go with blendshapes for mine also on this which is what will probably be the most time consuming part. Will take your advice and try to get this looking as close to real as possible as it will be so much better for it.

Yeah the eyes will look much better in the final, they have no hdr reflections as such + the wet area surrounding the eye is not there yet. Render times are fine and the above pic with hair was about 2 mins 30 on my mac book laptop so will be much faster on a proper comp.

I have made some tweaks to the face shape to try and get things looking better. I think it still needs some work but feel it is looking a lot better already. I have set up a rig ready for this and am wondering if using maya muscle for this might be a good idea. I have never used it before so it would be good to know if any of you guys have worked with it and how you found it to be.

Cheers guys

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by leonlabyk; 07-08-2010 at 06:59 AM.
# 13 07-08-2010 , 06:56 AM
Wire frame.

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 07-08-2010 , 08:57 AM
Made some more adjustments to the general head shape. Think it is almost there now but if anyone can see any problems please say.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 07-08-2010 , 08:59 AM
side

Attached Thumbnails