Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 01-03-2011 , 12:40 AM
Subscriber

March Challenge - Environment - Tweetytunes

Wow was not expecting to have this much freedom but then never look a gift horse in the mouth.

I think i am going to go all out on the Lighting and texturing on this one so the scene may be a little simple.
I`m thinking horror type setting aka gears of war/dead space/resident evil type thing.

Really liking the idea of something like this from dead space - just with my own twist on it.

user added image

or this one from dead island

user added image

Anyway something will come to me...

Last edited by tweetytunes; 01-03-2011 at 12:44 AM.
# 2 01-03-2011 , 07:44 AM
Lifetime Member
Man you are lucky then mate!!! LOL....I dig the dead space one...its nice and dark and spooky...

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 01-03-2011 , 08:11 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
yep an artist needs freedom mate to create so enjoy the challenge and have fun!!

# 4 03-03-2011 , 02:14 AM
Subscriber
Well it seems everyone is going outside so I`m glad that inside is the basest for my ideas - not going to space based one as I want some that feels alot more real. I have started a hall way at the mo and I am thinking hospital - but one of the old ones (shutter island type).

Maybe a small space opening out in to a larger one - the sort of reverse of the dead island shot above. Any way I think Im going to keep what I have done so far until I have a much better idea where I am going with this one.

# 5 03-03-2011 , 04:34 AM
Lifetime Member
SSSSSAAAAANNNNCCCCTTTTUUUUMMMMMM...he he he he...would be nice with shadows in the water, I reckon you could do it too...and well.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 6 04-03-2011 , 01:59 AM
Subscriber
Well was going to do some zbrush tonight and get cracking with nightcrawler and then I remembered I had not reinstalled it -duh (will get on it 2mo) - so spent some time on me environment. Now I know I said I was going to keep this till I was ready but as I said I really want to focus more on the lighting and textures on this challenge, but here is my problem - I suck at lighting. Now I got the basic layout modelled out but no props or decorations in there yet.

What I got - and yes a little dark at the mo ..... only using sun and sky

user added image

Before you say anything about this image its a major wip but using it to help people see my problems.
Guy with no arms is just there for scale - not apart of the project - and yes hes currently slightly floating.
Quite happy with the textures and uv`ing at the mo but render not the best because of lack of lights.

Here is a map of the light I think I need - not worried about the light from behind the doors iva end yet.
Arrow = sunlight, (blueish)
Long straight lines = downwards neon lights x 2, (Yellowish)
Dots = Uplights x 6 (Yellowish)

user added image

user added image

Is this a good plan or am I doing something wrong - how would you light this scene?

I`m thinking directional light for the sunlight, but what do I use for the other lights

# 7 04-03-2011 , 02:07 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL wheres Nilla!! man I reckon the position of the lights is pretty realistic...thats where they would go in the real world for sure. Seriously if you have time grab Nillas lighting tutorial dude...it will make things a lot clearer and it isnt too long.

bullet1968

# 8 04-03-2011 , 02:23 AM
Subscriber
Looks good, i like the idea. On the lights, it really depends on the mood, if you want it to seem spooky maybe have it all at night time with some faint moon light coming through the window.
Also I personally would avoid having the window light crossing over with the light from the overhead lights because it might make it seem cluttered, too many lights!

For the sun directional works really well, for the other lights maybe some area lights and point lights. Possibly experiment with lighting from textures?

Its really all about experimenting and finding what suits you best

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 9 04-03-2011 , 02:40 AM
Subscriber
I going for a creepy daylight scene (early afternoonish) - with the horror coming more from the place than the time of day.

I really dont have the money to spend on anymore training after buying Zbrush and some training for that.

And ermm lighting from textures ?????

# 10 04-03-2011 , 02:48 AM
Subscriber
Like using final gather and global illumination. I'm fairly sure there is a way to do it using mental ray textures but don't hold that to me!

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 11 04-03-2011 , 06:22 AM
Lifetime Member
Something like this tweety??? it is of course very rough...not many windows to play maya at work LOL

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 12 04-03-2011 , 11:18 AM
Lifetime Member
I got ride of the uplights and had a few goes..hope it inspires you mate

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 13 04-03-2011 , 12:12 PM
The thin red line
Hi tweeny
A light setup some thing like this, all spotlights. The one casting the frame like has shadow turned on all the other have not. If you need to cast shadow inside bring other light into the model.....dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 14 04-03-2011 , 12:38 PM
The Nurb Herd
i think you are on the right track.
not sure why you need the florescent tube lights tho (those should be greenish rather than yellow btw)
you should look into using portal lights, they will take colour information from your outside environment and bleed the colour in a kind of indirect diffuse way. area lights can be slow to render tho.

i set this up really quickly. there is no final gather its just two area portal lights, a directional for the sun and a couple of bounce lights. it renders fairly quickly.

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 04-03-2011 , 06:52 PM
EduSciVis-er
This is starting to look like a group challenge... haha, only joking. It's good to help each other out.