Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 19-03-2005 , 02:35 AM
Subscriber

NEwby SNIPER

OK everyone, I am a newbie to maya. Although I have worked with it only for a few months. And you guessed it, I only have PLE right now. So with all of that in mind, will you take a look at my sniper rifle. So far I have stayed away from the clip and body, along with the foregrip (mostly because they seem the hardest). But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me some critisicm(?) on this. Even if it is bad I wont care. I have not really started to much on this so when you see a ring near the scope just floating out there, it is because I havn't figured out a way to create the billow that connects them. (like I said, I am newb). And one more thing, the shaders that I have used right now are so basic, they are only used to tell the difference between the undetailed parts.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 19-03-2005 , 02:37 AM
Subscriber
Different View

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 19-03-2005 , 02:39 AM
Subscriber
One last one

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 19-03-2005 , 03:27 AM
Technical Director
Update to Maya PLE 6. It has a better watermark.

It looks good, but dont smooth the model.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 19-03-2005 , 08:12 AM
Subscriber
That's looking really good,

No criticism from me. Here's a tip for the billows though, make a profile of them with the cv curve tool then make a surface from it using revolve. Good luck,

Mat.

# 6 19-03-2005 , 03:39 PM
Subscriber
Ok, thx all for the help.

Peltra : Ok, I upgraded to PLE 6 and I agree, the water mark is WAY better. I really don't understand what you mean by "dont smooth the model" (it is made mostly in nurbs)

happymat27 : Thx for the comment.(it is probably the best I have ever had,lol) Also thx for the curve idea. It worked like a charm, Possibly the BEST idea that someone has told me (that I could actually get to work)

Last edited by alienscience; 19-03-2005 at 04:42 PM.
# 7 19-03-2005 , 05:37 PM
Need critisicm? OK, I can help. So, is it a gun? Where is the trigger? The ring near the scope doesn't look good, you can delete it, if you cant connect it. Shouldn't the scope have any glass details? It doesn't look like a real gun. Did you use any reference? One more thing, how much time have you spent modeling it? 10, 20 minutes? I have discovered one very important thing, modeling takes time... I mean, don't rush with modeling when you are learning.
If you want to learn, you shuold first learn all the comands, tools and functions from the Edit Polygons, Polygons, Edit NURBS, and Subdiv Surfaces menus, from the time i leart them i feel pleasure while modeling, you will see, yuo will toouser added image. Work slowly, but get good results. user added image

Now say what you think abuot my work, please. user added image http:/forum.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15722

# 8 19-03-2005 , 06:23 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by urvinism
Need critisicm? OK, I can help. So, is it a gun? Where is the trigger? The ring near the scope doesn't look good, you can delete it, if you cant connect it. Shouldn't the scope have any glass details? It doesn't look like a real gun. Did you use any reference? One more thing, how much time have you spent modeling it? 10, 20 minutes? I have discovered one very important thing, modeling takes time... I mean, don't rush with modeling when you are learning.
If you want to learn, you shuold first learn all the comands, tools and functions from the Edit Polygons, Polygons, Edit NURBS, and Subdiv Surfaces menus, from the time i leart them i feel pleasure while modeling, you will see, yuo will toouser added image. Work slowly, but get good results. user added image

Now say what you think abuot my work, please. user added image http:/forum.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15722

hey smart guy, what do you think WIP stands for, its a work in progress, its not his final version.
he wanted critics, not insults. and genius, criticism , would sound like this: "maybe make the handle bigger, or the length seem a little off, try to correct it"

# 9 19-03-2005 , 06:42 PM
I like this forum, though everything here is so sweet, i wuold like someone to crit my work like i did to his.

# 10 19-03-2005 , 07:04 PM
Subscriber
yeah critque is not meant to put you down because of yor comments alienscience has proberly gone and deleted the whole thing when it was coming together nice

its all looking good at the moment alienscience although I would try to construct the end handle out of polys and then converting it to sub d's that way with creases you can control wether the end needs to be flat you can also control the corners to be sharper to give it that more realistic look

Cheers
Rob

# 11 19-03-2005 , 08:47 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by urvinism
I like this forum, though everything here is so sweet, i wuold like someone to crit my work like i did to his.

and you should not try to make it "unsweet"
im not telling you to be too easy on people's work but
theres a difference once again between constructive criticism and the nonse you tried to tell him,
if you want a more professional feedback, try posting on forums where the majorities are not noobies. understand?
most people here are just starting out.

# 12 19-03-2005 , 08:57 PM
Subscriber

JESUS CHRIST

God UNIRVINISM or whatever you call yourself. CANT YOU READ! Thx vladimir for setting him straight the nice way, but I have my own ways. I mean how stupid is this guy, can he even read english. At the start of this thread I specifically said

"So far I HAVE STAYED AWAY from the clip and body, along with the foregrip (mostly because they seem the hardest). But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me some critisicm(?) on this. Even if it is bad I wont care. I HAVE NOT REALLY STARTED TO MUCH ON THIS so when you see a ring near the scope just floating out there, it is because I HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT A WAY TO CREATE THE BILLOW that connects them."

Can he even see? What does the model look like, YOUR MOM? I mean come on, I'm sorry that no one wants to comment your work. Maybe because it is good (I think it is), maybe because they think your a retarded jackass (just like in you avatar(I know its really a camel)) But WTF makes you think you can come into a WORK IN PROGRESS (not to mention newby) thread and trash it? Your lucky im not where your at right now. Now looking back on this thread I was pretty pissed that you would say that, but now I have calmed down a little. But Im still going to post it just to piss YOU off.

sspikedudley : thx for the help, ill try the subDIV thing

# 13 19-03-2005 , 08:59 PM
Ok, sorry. It's my bad (personal problems, for which no one of you is guilty) I accept, that i said nonsenses. This will not repeat.

# 14 19-03-2005 , 09:00 PM
Subscriber
OH, didn't expect that one. LOL, um....this is akward.

# 15 19-03-2005 , 11:09 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by alienscience
OH, didn't expect that one. LOL, um....this is akward.

lmao
you went off on him.user added image