Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 19-09-2017 , 02:44 AM

Duplicate Special wont obey

Hello, I tried pretty hard to fix this issue by searching existing results here without posting a new thread but that was a confusing fail so here I am.

I am modeling a fighter plane. Tutor instructs to use duplicate special to mirror one side of the plane. I dupe special one half of the plane
Put everything to Geo type: instance. Group under: parent. Translate: 0 Rotate: 0. Scale: x-1

After I dupe special and try to work on it the 2 separate pieces of plane act independent of each other.and the work i do does not affect both pieces.

Other uses posts i checked here with the same kind of problem had these suggestions from others that i tried to fix my own problem.

Tried deleting history
made sure everything set to 0 and centered to grid.
Move settings: axis orientation set to world
make sure retain component spacing is un checked
Mirroring geo/poly does not not work because you cant work on both sides of plane at the same time after.

There is some other ideas i tried that were suggested but i cant remember them all as this is rather confusing user added image

Thanx

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by liquidcactus; 19-09-2017 at 01:24 PM.
# 2 20-09-2017 , 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Since I can't see your scene, I can't really say what's the problem. Or maybe I'm just not being very observant. Anyway, mirroring poly can work fine since the modeling toolkit has a symmetry feature so there's that option.

- Genny
# 3 21-09-2017 , 02:15 AM
Thanx for the response Gen, I uploaded 2 pics aswell. i think i solved it on my own accord.. this maya journey is going to be a hell of a ride ^_^
I think i was over thinking the problem. i just went mesh > combine. I thought the issue was a lot worse than first thought.

# 4 26-09-2017 , 06:57 AM

Since I can't see your scene, I can't really say what's the problem. Or maybe I'm just not being very observant. Anyway, mirroring poly can work fine since the modeling toolkit has a symmetry feature so there's that option.

Hi Gen,
Ok, i take back what i said about solving the problem i have. After i combine both halfs of the plane i no long have the power of modding one half so it effects the opposite side. Everything in my first post is still relevant to the selected options I'm using aswell.