Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 29-09-2002 , 04:24 PM
Subscriber

Global Illumination and lightning

I want to make some realistic renderings with GI but now i wonder how to set up for proper lightning. (yes i have tried)

I want to use the directional light for GI, but as i do not have 100% enclosing (top/sides(bottom) and reflecting surrondings, i only get GI light on parts of the model, which makes this light too bright in contrast to the direct light from the directional light.

So it looks that i need more direct light, but i thought the best would be to ligth the whole model up with GI for a realistic result.

If I make a sphere around my model the light from the directional light wont get through the sphere.

Please give me some advice.

# 2 29-09-2002 , 04:41 PM
Supreme Being
you can download a mel from highend3d called GIJOE.. use the max lights which if i'm not mistaken it should be 128lights.. edit the intencity to around 0.1 and then make one directional light with a higher value intencity, like 1.. depends on the scene you're workin' on
that should give you a nice GI effect.. :p

# 3 29-09-2002 , 05:10 PM
Subscriber
I will post some pics here when i finish them.
And... i have been thinking, that maybe I'm not used to analyse GI pics. I took a white object and moved it onto a white sheet of paper and i was suprised to see how much the reflective light lit up parts of the paper. Hehe, it just didn't seem right in my rendering.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 4 29-09-2002 , 05:15 PM
Subscriber
How do i post pictures here ???

# 5 29-09-2002 , 05:18 PM
Supreme Being
either with the img tag.. or just attached the file when you're in the reply page.. its under your text space.. but make sure it's under 200k i think.. :p

# 6 29-09-2002 , 05:29 PM
Subscriber
I dont get this, isnt it possible to upload pics?

My 03.jpg is 4kb big!
Whats the problem here?

# 7 29-09-2002 , 05:31 PM
Supreme Being
ow i should have mentioned this.. the img tag is if you want to link pics from a server, online.. and the attach is to uplaod it to the SM servers..
so in your case you should attach it.. hehe. sorry.. :p

# 8 29-09-2002 , 05:34 PM
Subscriber

Hmm

The uploaded file is not a valid GIF or JPG file. Please ensure that it is and try again.

? This is a standard jpg file (03.jpg) user added image ?

I wrote something in the txt field and klicked the attach button, and chose the correct path, but it gives me the error-message stated on top.

Last edited by undseth; 29-09-2002 at 05:38 PM.
# 9 29-09-2002 , 05:37 PM
Kevin

# 10 29-09-2002 , 05:38 PM
Supreme Being
hmm.. not sure m8.. try again..
maybe pass it through photoshop and save it again as a jpg..?!

edit: lol.. or just send it to kev.. user added image

# 11 29-09-2002 , 05:48 PM
Kevin
heres undseth's image user added image

# 12 29-09-2002 , 06:16 PM
Subscriber
I must confess that i had added the big plate after my first post here. So the rendering do look better now, and besides, everything is not supposed to be white, so im confident in making some real pics.

But should have added some bluish arealight of sorts.
I Could also have done this in FinalGathering, but i just dont have the patience to wait for the slow thing.

But I'll try to combine GI and FG, and get back to this post with a more exiting picture.

# 13 29-09-2002 , 07:03 PM
Subscriber
I have botherd Kevin again with a new pic.
(I hope he posts that one too)

This (coming pic) is a combination of GI and FG.

The outer rendering is GI.
The inner rendering is Final Gathering and GI.

The two shadings differ greatly (light-energy is lowered very much, when including the FG settings to GI).

The FG shading is nice, but has one strange thing, and that is the too-bright(?)-area under the top slab, it has no shadow at all it seems.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I study architecture and I'll spend the next hours now to build a house i never got around to, from a previous project at school. I'll even try to texture it
:banana: although I'm not good at that.

Last edited by undseth; 29-09-2002 at 07:06 PM.
# 14 29-09-2002 , 08:04 PM
Kevin
here is his second image user added image

# 15 30-09-2002 , 04:56 PM
Subscriber
I am well into making this house of mine, It'll be done in a few days i guess.

I have no drawings of this house from my studies, so I'm designing the project from memory.