Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 25-12-2006 , 07:15 AM
Simply Maya OG

IK Joint problems...

I just made a skeleton w/all the joints and whatnot, but Im having problem with the IK joints. I made a IK joint from the heel, to the hip bone. When I move the heel UP, the knee moves out to the side, instead of moving out/fowards, like it naturally does. Whats causing this?

- Hybrid
# 2 25-12-2006 , 07:32 AM
Subscriber
you probably need to set a prefered angle.
but if layed out the joins with a slight bend in the direction it should bend, it shouldnt do that.
unless theres some other problem with the ik solver.

# 3 25-12-2006 , 07:35 AM
Simply Maya OG
I layed out the joints straight. Should I go back and add a slight bend in the knee? If not, how do I set a prefered angle? i looked in the attribute editor, but coudnt find ne thing.

- Hybrid
# 4 25-12-2006 , 09:34 PM
i'd say go back and add a slight bend in the knee.

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 12-01-2007 , 08:52 AM
yes, when using IK having a slight bend in the joints will help the the IK solver determine what way its supposed to bend. Also, i noticed that you said you setup an IK from the Heel to the Hip Bone. its best to work down the Hierarchy. with the IK tool selected, click on the hip and then the heel. this will set the effectors to be down at the heel. Also, to help control which way the bend in the IK is facing, i like to use rotateplane IK solvers instead a single chain IK solver. in the AM there a channel for twist to control which way the bend is facing. i like to use a locator, snap it to the knee, then move it forward in Z so that its right in front of the knee a bit. rename the locator left(or)right Pole vector, select the left(or)right polevector and the corresponding Leg IK, and go to >Constrain>Pole Vector. now you can translate the polevector(locator) to move what way the bend in the IK is facing. hope this helps

# 6 01-02-2007 , 03:50 PM
gime a screen shot with the rig and the hierarchy and a shot of the problem.

(use https://imageshack.us/ to host your images so you dont have to crunch them down so they are illegable.)

it sounds like a combination of things to me. what you have might be the orentation and the prefered angle. where setting the prefered angle might fix it for now your orentations will probibly bite you later when you animate.

(see attatched to check the orentations) X should be pointing to the next joint in the chain either Z or Y should be pointing directly to the side of your joint if this is messed up let me know I'll let you know how to fix it.

Attached Images